Can I use my previous winter tires on my 2020 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I use my previous winter tires on my 2020 Explorer

rymistri

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I bought winter tires and steel rims in 2017 for my 2014 Explorer XLT.

The tires are 245/60 R18 105S.
The Rims:
Size18x7.5
Diameter18
Bolt Pattern (mm)5x114.3
Offset (mm)44
Centre Bore (mm)63.4

I now have a 2020 Explorer XLT. The current tires are 255/65 R18 111H.

What I would like to know is if I can use my previous winter tires and steel rims on the new vehicle.

I know the 245/60 tires are slightly lower/slimmer and there will be a slight impact on the speedometer accuracy but I just want to make sure that I am not going to dmg the tires/truck or cause an accident!

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The standard says stay within 3% difference. I wouldn't use them because you are looking at a 4.8" diameter difference, and a 10.8% sidewall difference. But it's up to you. Speedometer will be off 3 to 4 mph at normal driving speeds.

I bought winter tires and steel rims in 2017 for my 2014 Explorer XLT.

The tires are 245/60 R18 105S.
The Rims:
Size18x7.5
Diameter18
Bolt Pattern (mm)5x114.3
Offset (mm)44
Centre Bore (mm)63.4

I now have a 2020 Explorer XLT. The current tires are 255/65 R18 111H.
What I would like to know is if I can use my previous winter tires and steel rims on the new vehicle.
I know the 245/60 tires are slightly lower/slimmer and there will be a slight impact on the speedometer accuracy but I just want to make sure that I am not going to dmg the tires/truck or cause an accident!

Thanks for any help
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The unfortunate answer is NO. I had the Interceptor steel wheels on my 2017 Platinum and found that they would not fit on my 2020 Aviator. Apparently the size of the center bore is different. Also, with those tires, the diameter difference would have been -5%.
Check out this thread and what fellow Ottawa member Brian has done. Winter Rims / Wheels
I lease my vehicles and this time and for the first time, I just bought Winter tires and have them installed on the OEM wheels.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The unfortunate answer is NO. I had the Interceptor steel wheels on my 2017 Platinum and found that they would not fit on my 2020 Aviator. Apparently the size of the center bore is different. With those tires, the diameter difference would have been -5%
Check out this thread and what fellow Ottawa member Brian has done. Winter Rims / Wheels
I lease my vehicles and this time and for the first time, I just bought Winter tires and have them installed on the OEM wheels.

Peter
What he said about the center bore being different, but with a twist......

I ended up buying 22's for the summer, and putting winter tires on the stock 21s, because I did not think I could use my old custom wheels that fit my 2014-2018 explorer sports, on my 2020 Explorer ST.

Just as I was paying for the new 22 inch wheels and tires, the shop owner says, I don't want to annoy you, but we probably could have bored out your old wheels and made them fit. I think it would need to go from 63 mm to 70 mm or so - the exact info is elsewhere on this forum in similar threads.

At any rate, may be something to explore (pun intended) if you can find a shop that can do it for you, and you are willing to accept the speedo difference.

Good luck!

I read all the answers but didn’t find the answer.
I want to install FB5Z1007B wheels on Explorer 2020, and I'm confused by the offset difference.
The original wheels offset for 2020 is 37.5mm, on these wheels it's 44mm.
As far as I understand, the HUB BORE is the same 63.4mm

Is it possible to install these wheels with 235/70/R18 or 255/65/R18 winter tire in place of mine 255/55/R20 stock wheels?

Thanks, Andriy

I read all the answers but didn’t find the answer.
I want to install FB5Z1007B wheels on Explorer 2020, and I'm confused by the offset difference.
The original wheels offset for 2020 is 37.5mm, on these wheels it's 44mm.
As far as I understand, the HUB BORE is the same 63.4mm

Is it possible to install these wheels with 235/70/R18 or 255/65/R18 winter tire in place of mine 255/55/R20 stock wheels?

Thanks, Andriy
rims from the previous gen explorer won't fit because of the larger center bore. it's been stated numerous times in this thread.

rims from the previous gen explorer won't fit because of the larger center bore. it's been stated numerous times in this thread.
Thanks.
I looked at the spec and saw the difference:
5G - 63.4mm
6G - 70.5mm
:(

Ok, if the diameter is not 70.5 but 71.6 is such a rims can be installed?

Thanks.
I looked at the spec and saw the difference:
5G - 63.4mm
6G - 70.5mm
:(

Ok, if the diameter is not 70.5 but 71.6 is such a rims can be installed?
Yes, plenty of aftermarket rims with larger than 70 center bore that will fit. I would recommend hubcentric rings in that case.

Thanks, Andriy
Both tires will fit without issues. The 255/65R18 is an exact match for what you have now but is preferable to go with a narrower tire for winter driving and the 235/70R18 only shows a -0.3% diameter variance meaning that when the speedometer reads 60 mph your actual speed would be 59.8 mph.

Peter

Both tires will fit without issues. The 255/65R18 is an exact match for what you have now but is preferable to go with a narrower tire for winter driving and the 235/70R18 only shows a -0.3% diameter variance meaning that when the speedometer reads 60 mph your actual speed would be 59.8 mph.

Peter
Thanks Peter.

Was puzzled by the search for the disks and faced a question about the maximum load on the disk (WLC)
1.What load capacity can I buy discs?
2. How can I find out this parameter about the disks that I buy? )))))))))

After searching the Internet, I found out the following:
1. You can calculate such a load using the formula GVVR * 60% / 2, which means I need disks with a permissible load of (2679kg * 60% / 2 = ~800kg or 5905lb * 60% / 2 = ~1770lb)
How much does this statement correspond to reality? I have not found such an option for stock drives. :(

2. This is generally a problem. It is very difficult to find out from sellers or in the characteristics on the site.

When you mention "disks" are you referring to wheels (rims)?

Do wheels from a 5th gen fit the 6th? If not, what have you all done for snow tires/rims on the 6th gen? Specifically, for an ST? Thanks!

No, they won't fit. The bolt pattern is the same but the hub bore is different. The 11-19's used a 63.4 mm hub bore, and the 20+ increased that to 70.5 mm. You can put 20+ wheels on an 11-19 but not the other way around. A cheap way to get winter wheels is to use mustang wheels from 2005 and up and just throw some winter tires on them. Look for at least an 18" wheel.

Where in Ohio are you? I'm just west of Cleveland but still in Cuyahoga county.

Do wheels from a 5th gen fit the 6th? If not, what have you all done for snow tires/rims on the 6th gen? Specifically, for an ST? Thanks!
Your thread was merged with this one on the same topic.

Being that I lease my vehicles I've stopped buying the rims since Ford seems to like changing the sizes so I've gone to just putting winter tires on the OEM wheels. "Snow" tires is an outdated term and it is also misleading since one of the advantages of winter tires is improved grip in cold temperatures on bare roads.

Peter

No, they won't fit. The bolt pattern is the same but the hub bore is different. The 11-19's used a 63.4 mm hub bore, and the 20+ increased that to 70.5 mm. You can put 20+ wheels on an 11-19 but not the other way around. A cheap way to get winter wheels is to use mustang wheels from 2005 and up and just throw some winter tires on them. Look for at least an 18" wheel.

Where in Ohio are you? I'm just west of Cleveland but still in Cuyahoga county.
I'm South of you down in Wooster. I'll look into the Mustang wheels. I am trying to fit the tires on a 2022 ST and don't want to deal with taking them on/off the rims each season. I've always run a different set of rims and snow tires. Just made it easier and I didn't have to worry about the grime eating away at my OEM rims. Thanks for the guidance!

Have you checked into the 6th gen PIU steel wheels? BTW, do you have an ST? Your profile shows 2019 Sport.

Peter

I just use the factory 20's that came on my ST for winter wheels/tires. I have a set of 22's with 285/40/22 summer only tires I use for summer.

stock 20's
20210521_100230.jpg

22's for summer use
20220420_152445.jpg

Back