Can shift from D into R

MrPulldown

Reaction score
City, State
Truckeee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, 4wd, 4.6l
Edit, title should Read: CAN"T shift from D to R

Mother in law was driving my kids around and I get a call. "I am stuck in a driveway and I can't back up." Apparently she pulled into this driveway to get something for the kid and when she tried to move the gear selector into reverse from "D" it won't go past "N". Can't remember now if it goes into "N" or not; assume stays in D and not N. "did you step on the brake?" "Did you pull the lever back before trying to push it up?" "Turn it off and on?" (that's how you fix everything right). Ok let me go see what the interweb says. Call you back.

Googling provides nothing. I was told once that the selector was stuck in Park and need to push the manual gear selector release with a screw driver. But this was not what was going on. Mind you the little indicator needle and the actual gear position does not always line up. Could this be related? It has done so for year.

Minutes later I get a call back. "Everything is fine". Apparently she just forced the selector into R. Took a couple of forceful bumps to do so. I crawled under the car that night and did not find anything that looked odd with the cable or the tranny side shift lever. Looked at the shift column and everything looked fine.

So now I ask is because I am about to take a long road trip through some desolate territory, and I do not want this vehicle to fail me. Anyone have insight?

Back