Can someone please verify if this is correct? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone please verify if this is correct?

ttripp1

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I replaced a couple of O2 sensors (both my front ones, upstream from the catalyst) with Bosch Premium ones I purchased from an O'Reilly's store in my city.

Well after a few days of driving, my service engine light came on and gave errors for both the front O2 sensors saying the O2 Circuit was responding slowly, but I also had a system running rich condition for my Bank 1.

Took it to the dealer and they had to replace my gaskets (they were cracked), but said that my O2 sensors I had put in were operating fine for a few seconds after you started the vehicle, but then the voltage dramatically dropped and was throwing the slow response codes.

Anyway, long story short... the service advisor said that places like that sell you "generic" O2 sensors and Ford requires "VIN Specific" ones to be installed. So, for $116 each, I put new Ford O2 sensors in.

If they are VIN specific, why would an auto store like O'Reilly's or Autozone even sell you them if they aren't going to work? :confused:

Anyway, long story short... the service advisor said that places like that sell you "generic" O2 sensors and Ford requires "VIN Specific" ones to be installed.

Because the dealer ship likes to BS people into buying parts that they do not need to make more $$$.

I learned a much more expensive lesson a few monts after I bought my Mountaineer. The cat's went bad & the Stealer ship said aftermarket cat's would cause problems.

They fleeced me for $1400:fire: :fire:

I wish I would have known of Serious Explorers then:(

But why would the voltage in my "aftermarket" O2 sensors drop and cause my MIL to come on? THAT is what I don't understand.

Back