Can you put a Sport model grille on other trim levels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you put a Sport model grille on other trim levels?

Slide2hd

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT, Ruby Red, 202a
Does anyone know if you can put a Sport model grille on other trim levels? I have a 2013 XLT, but don't really care for the silver/chrome grille. I would imagine the base, xlt, and limited grilles can all be interchanged because they look identical with the exception of paint. The Sport model grille has a slightly different look to it, but it seems like the dimensions are the same. After speaking with 2 different dealers, neither could give me a solid answer if this part would fit my explorer. Has anybody out there done this yet, or can give me a solid answer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think this has been done, check the Stock section of the forum. I thought the Sport was bigger, but apparently it just has larger openings.

You most certainly can. Same size. The only thing bigger on the sport is the engine. That's what seperates them from the normal Ex's. I love mine. Boy does it move. AMAZING!!!!

Plasti dip it

You most certainly can. Same size. The only thing bigger on the sport is the engine. That's what seperates them from the normal Ex's. I love mine. Boy does it move. AMAZING!!!!

-- I saw your post in the stock forum... Was part# DB5Z-8200-A the only part you need for the entire grill?

Does anyone know if you can put a Sport model grille on other trim levels? I have a 2013 XLT, but don't really care for the silver/chrome grille. I would imagine the base, xlt, and limited grilles can all be interchanged because they look identical with the exception of paint. The Sport model grille has a slightly different look to it, but it seems like the dimensions are the same. After speaking with 2 different dealers, neither could give me a solid answer if this part would fit my explorer. Has anybody out there done this yet, or can give me a solid answer?
Looking for a black grille. There is someone looking to get ride of theirs;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380889

Maybe you can do a swap.

Peter

I appreciate the out-reach Peter, but I chose to buy a sport model grille. Picked up the part from levittownfordsupercenter.com; some great deals there!! I originally thought to trade, or paint...but I just really like the look of the sport model grille over the other trims... If anyone else is looking to do the same for theirs, i suggest doing it soon b/c the price seems to go up every week... Part should be arriving soon--will post some pictures when it's installed!!
Now I'll just need to save up and decide on some wheels! If anyone else has added aftermarket wheels, please show them off in the "aftermarket wheels" thread. Thanks!!

Back