Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
Where hell is it?

1998 5.0

i recently got a code for an evap. system leak, so i figured i'd change the gas cap and put on a new Purge Valve cause the vehicle is almost 10 years old

so i followed the vacuum diagram under the hood and dropped the spare and drop down the plate that holds the canister, is the valve that attaches to the canister not the purge valve?

it has one hole that connects to the canister and then a simple 2 wire plug.

i had my dad go and pick up a new one, and it looks nothing like what i thought was the purge valve
the new one had a circular base with the valve on top and 2 hose connections on the base with a small hose connection on top under the valve and then the 2wire connection on the side of the valve.

if this indeed is the right valve.......where is it located so i can change it?

thanks guys for your help, just frustrating the hell out of me.

If we're talking about the same thing the the evap systems purge valve is actually above the spare tire. It's a square box looking thing that the purge valve is part of. Don't be too quick to suspect it though. What exactly is the error code that you've got?

P0442 code

Evap Emission Control System Leak

I had that same code a while back, it ended up being a vacuum line, but I don't remember where. You'll probably just have to check all of the evap, and vacuum systems and see if there is a leak somewhere.

Back