• Register Today It's free!

Can't figure out this code: P0401

smoke-pole

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
It shows "egr flow insufficient"? Could it possibly be the egr valve, or one of the other sensors associated with the egr valve? I know it has a egr pressure feedback sensor. Could it be possible for it to be bad? Or maybe both? Are there anything else i need to check?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This thing went from getting around 18-20 miles per gallon, to getting 10 quick. It has a shuttering like affect when you are driving along, (a common miss i guess you would say) kinda like a flooding miss if you will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny, I just posted another response. This is the exact same problem I had on my father's '01 Sport. I replaced the DPFE (cheap part), reset the computer and all was well... I believe the shop had replaced the EGR valve, and the problem persisted. But the DPFE ended up being the problem after all.

im getting ready to change it as soon as i get off here.

thanks

assuming that both of you are 4.0 V-6? Any chance of a picture of where the part is in the engine compartment?

Please don't say "follow the vacuum lines"... a pic is worth a million words.

Rob

I replaced the egr valve and the dpfe and still po401. I gave up. Just go to az or the like and buy the dpfe and it will be easy to find. It is all located by the firewall around the middle of the engine. Look down on the center of the engine and follow to firewall. Hope that helps, my camera sux.

Do not buy aftermarket DPFE's! Go FORD or MOTORCRAFT only or you'll be replacing it again.
2002GreyHD150, here it is on the 4.0L SOHC Sport Trac's.
EmissionComponents01Job2later.jpg

assuming that both of you are 4.0 V-6? Any chance of a picture of where the part is in the engine compartment?

Rob

I agree with ncranchero and don't recommend installing an aftermarket DPFE Sensor. I installed one from AutoZone less than a year ago and the other day my check engine light came on. It turned out to be the DPFE Sensor. The only good thing was that it had a 2 year warranty so I got a new one free and it takes about 10 seconds to change it with no tools required.

Here is the DPFE Sensor on my '02 V6:

picture.php

thanks all, you confirming x 3+ that the DPFE is a v6 solution for the P0401/P0402.

I have an '04 4.6, AWD with the "new/improved" EMS system, as refferred to in other P0401 thread(s).

The newer design is all-in one WITH the MAP sensor included! Can you say "ASKING! for trouble"?

Anyway. BWD (Borg-Warner) Replacement due today. has the DPFE & MAP on top of the EGR valve itself. (2) 10mm nuts to the intake elbow & the 1 1/16" nut on the EGR tube. So.. tomorrow will be a HUGE fun day.

* EGR replacement
* Oil cooler/Oil filter adapter gasket replacement
* Complete rad drain/refill
* All new hoses & belt
* New T-stat
* Trick Flow Upper intake Elbow upgrade
* Trick Flow Cast Aluminum Cam Covers (if they show up)
* Typhoon Cast intake (if it too shows up)
* Driver's front Hub assembly w/ ABS sensor replacement

Gotta love finally getting home after 5 weeks on the road & having a beautiful day outside, with wife & kids out of the house from 6am till ?

Rob

Also a good idea to check both hoses running from the EGR tube to the DPFE sensor. They are known for cracking and splitting.

Rob

Oh well then........... LOL, that post threw me off on your application. I don't know if this is a big issue on the V8 Explorers or not but on the F150's it darn sure is. At 80K-120K +/- the little ports in the elbow will stop up and throw the P0401 code. Replacing the DPFE doesn't help, nothing will until you clean out the ports. Here's my stopped up F150 elbow.....
P0401Repair10.jpg

P0401Repair9.jpg

P0401Repair20.jpg

P0401Repair19.jpg

thanks Steve. I had heard about the EGR elbow on the F150.

When my IAC on the 4.6 freaked out I looked for 2 days until I realized it was part of the TB. LOL. Same thing as the F150, cleaning just the TB didn't solve it completely, had to take the TB & elbow off the truck to clean.

Rob

Codes on a 2003 Explorer B Limited

How do you get the codes?
Do you need a reader?

Back