Cant find an ST in the configuration I want | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant find an ST in the configuration I want

pakisho

Reaction score
City, State
Socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hi All,

The lease on my 2018 is running out and I want a 2021 to replace it.

1: Infinite Blue or Black second choice
2: 401A
3: ST Street Pack
4: Premium Tech Pack
5: Moonroof
6: 2nd row bench seat

Dont need anything else and I have to hit the mark on all six, none are negotiable.

Cant find a damn car! And whats up with them going for list price! The market is totally nuts right now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sad to say but the chip shortage has a big impact on this. Ford has shut down a lot of production due to it.

The only thing that will give you trouble finding is the second row bench, everything else is on every ST out there. I was lucky to find one with out a moonroof.

Good luck finding that unicorn. Only way you'll find them like that will be in the Platinum trim without that color and a 2020 model. At least thats how it was in my case.

Found only ONE beautiful red 2021 ST within 100 miles from my range with the tech package and moonroof with the bench. Couldnt find a blue one, they were my two only choices. Couldn't agree with the price, so went with the Platinum with 21" wheels. Came out much better for me since I got it 9k~ under MSRP, came out cheaper than an ST.

As noted above, the main culprit will be the 2nd row bench as that is very rare.

Yep. Wild how the chassis change flipped the script and now everything is captains chairs. I sent in a request for a special order, apparently going to take 5-6 months!

Yep. Wild how the chassis change flipped the script and now everything is captains chairs. I sent in a request for a special order, apparently going to take 5-6 months!
The final order date for the 2021 Explorer is June 25th.
You could always get one with the Captain's Chairs and hope that you can find another member with a bench who is willing to swap.

Peter

Maybe if you order the car, they will extend your lease until the new one comes in. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Actually you can call ford credit and explain the situation and they will gladly extend the lease. I've done it before, they will gladly do it.

That is what I have been told by other sources as well. My lease guy may have located a vehicle, waiting to confirm. If not, then an extension and a special order is what it will have to be.

The second row bench is amazing in the current gen Explorers, but it’s such a unicorn option for some reason. I had to hunt high and low to find an Explorer configuration that was exactly what I was looking for and I was only able to secure it cause the dealership owner had put some miles on it (he was actually still driving it when I got in touch with them after finding it on the Fors inventory locator) and they didn’t have to manager’s special it. They hadn’t even listed it online. I’ve already benefited from the bench numerous times with family visiting.

Last edited:

I didn't buy an ST, but the 2nd Row Bench was the unicorn driver... We wanted a unit with the 2nd row bench and the Light Slate Active X Seats (Sport Package on the XLT). Also needed the trailer tow package...

If we didn't care about exterior color, there wasn't one within 200 miles. And no dealer is trading these days...

If I was going that far, I might as well get the color I wanted. 425 driving miles later, we have our new Explorer at home as of a few weeks ago... The factory was shut down for something like a month. And we didn't think prices were going to become more reasonable if we waited, so we made the deal (and still feel that it was actually reasonable given what we've seen at other dealers...)

The second row bench is amazing in the current gen Explorers, but it’s such a unicorn option for some reason. I had to hunt high and low to find an Explorer configuration that was exactly what I was looking for and I was only able to secure it cause the dealership owner had put some miles on it (he was actually still driving it when I got in touch with them after finding it on the Fors inventory locator) and they didn’t have to manager’s special it. They hadn’t even listed it online. I’ve already benefited from the bench numerous times with family visiting.
What makes it anymore special than previous gens bench seat? I currently have a bench in my 17 explorer and unsure if I want bench or switch to captain chairs in my future ST. Just wondering if maybe there was something else special about thr bench besides just adding the ability to carry an additional occupant.

In 2017 the bench was standard and captains chairs were an option. In 2020 and up, that's flipped - they come standard with the captains chairs and the bench is a $500 option.

If you need the bench, the captains chairs stink. And the dealer's don't order a lot with the bench... That's what makes it a unicorn...

What makes it anymore special than previous gens bench seat? I currently have a bench in my 17 explorer and unsure if I want bench or switch to captain chairs in my future ST. Just wondering if maybe there was something else special about thr bench besides just adding the ability to carry an additional occupant.
The 5th gen bench was a 60/40 split. The 6th gen bench is a 35/30/35 split with armrests. I don't know about the 6th gen bench but the 5th gen center seat was very tight, about 11 inches across between the seat belt fasteners if I recall correctly.
The 5th gen had 2nd-row bucket seats (no armrests). The Captain's chairs (with armrests) were introduced on the 6th gen.

Peter

The bench is significantly wider in the newest gen thanks to the wider wheelbase and with the new split configuration, all 3 seats are very usable. Additionally, the left and right seat have pretty much all the functionality of captain’s chairs with forward-backward and recline adjustment, while the center has recline adjustment and the ability to drop down. Lastly, I don’t think you can get a center console for the second row captain’s chairs anymore, while with the bench you have the fold-down armrest that provides 2 additional cup holders completely unavailable to vehicles with the captain’s chairs. This also makes for a much better rear storage surface while all seats are dropped as there is no gap that something can fall into, unlike the gaping hole between the dropped captain’s chairs.

The bench is significantly wider in the newest gen thanks to the wider wheelbase and with the new split configuration, all 3 seats are very usable. Additionally, the left and right seat have pretty much all the functionality of captain’s chairs with forward-backward and recline adjustment, while the center has recline adjustment and the ability to drop down. Lastly, I don’t think you can get a center console for the second row captain’s chairs anymore, while with the bench you have the fold-down armrest that provides 2 additional cup holders completely unavailable to vehicles with the captain’s chairs. This also makes for a much better rear storage surface while all seats are dropped as there is no gap that something can fall into, unlike the gaping hole between the dropped captain’s chairs.
Thank you for that detailed explanation. Honestly, I think you sold me on the bench. Your last point about something falling through the gaping hole. I really don’t want my 75lb German shepherd to go through it.
But the usability seems to have really improved. I have that bench split in my cx5 that I gave to my wife and it is amazing.

Thank you for the bench description update. As for the 2nd-row center console, the 2020 shows a "Step-over Center Console" while the 2021 shows "Center Floor Console". They may have just changed the name for the step-over. :dunno: The Aviator still shows availability of a full 2nd-row console.

Peter

Last edited:

Thank you for the bench description update. As for the 2nd-row center console, the 2020 shows a "Step-over Center Console" while the 2021 shows "Center Floor Console". They may have just changed the name for the step-over. :dunno: The Aviator still shows availability of a full 2nd-row console.

Peter
Ahh you’re right. It took a while to find a decent picture between the second row captain’s chairs, but it does have a very low-profile center console on the ground with 2 cup holders and a small bin. I was wrong about the bench having 2 cup holders that weren’t available in the captain’s chairs. That said, it seems like dealers in South Florida are realizing how nice the second row bench now is. While looking for a pic of that floor console, the vast majority of new stock down here seems to now have the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually you can call ford credit and explain the situation and they will gladly extend the lease. I've done it before, they will gladly do it.
My "Plan B" was to extend our lease when it was due this August and order a '22 , but I was able to locate what I wanted now - colors, options (bench 2nd row) and my dealer worked a trade to get it for me. Extending the Ford lease as mentioned isn't difficult and can be done for up to 6 months but it can be terminated anytime during the 6 months. I think mid-month terminations are prorated too but I'm not certain. A phone call to FMC is where I got this info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back