Can't remove right side glove box pin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't remove right side glove box pin

alpha1145

Reaction score
City, State
West Haven, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I have a 2014 Explorer Limited. I did some really dusty off-roading recently and would like to replace the cabin air filter. Of course, I went to YouTube to watch a video on how to remove the glove box. All is well, right? I went though the steps of removing the dampener cable on the right, then the left plastic retaining pin at the bottom. When I got to the pin on the right I observed that the tab is prevented from moving to the left by what appears to be the airbag unit. I can't see how I can remove it. Not sure how Ford got in there to begin with.

Here's a photo of what I am dealing with. I added the red lines to indicate the position of the right retaining pin and the blockage by the airbag unit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sbU7PG65M7UGktb3RWSF8wNVU

open

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't need to remove the glove box to change it. It should fall down enough after releasing the top catches to reach in there.

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem with a 2016. Cannot get the right pin out ( it is blocked) and the glove box door will NOT tilt down enough to get proper access even with the top latches released.
thanks
john

I was able to remove mine after carefully bending it out of the way with a big screwdriver. It was not easy...

Bend What out of the way with the big screwdriver?

I just tried again and the glove box will lay down enough for me to get behind it properly. And FYI )_my goal is to remove that glove box and not just for the cabin filter.

john

I ordered a Motorcraft FP68 cabin air filter from Amazon. Upon inspecting the filter, there is no airflow arrow on the filter. The filter came in a Motorcraft FP68 box and is stenciled with all the Motorcraft nomenclature including Made in USA. Did Ford's cabin air filter supplier remove the airflow arrow on the Motorcraft FP68 filter?

When I put the pin back on, I had put it in the wrong way 2 years ago. When I changed my blend actuator door, it was PITA to take out. You have to bend it and pull it out. It was supposed to be put in the other way. The factory installed it wrong probably.

Here is a video of removal:

Better video from Fordtechmakuloco:

I used a large screwdriver to carefully bend the plastic pin down so that it could slide past the air bag unit.

I used a large screwdriver to carefully bend the plastic pin down so that it could slide past the air bag unit.

Take a pair of cutting pliers and cut a the flat tab end off =- then the darn thing will slide back and for the easily. That solved this problem in my 2016 explorer. If you cannot get access then by all means put the heavy screwdriver on the right side lower hinge area and slide the pin towards the drivers side. It will come out as soon as that flat side moves a bit away from the lower instrument panel reinforcement area. Also if you remove the right side ip cover ( it snaps off easily) then removing and reinstalling the wire for the glove box retention spring is a lot easier.

Some ****** designed the glove box. Just bought a 2015 and now going through stuff. Had to cut the tab on the right pin. I made an S-hook out of a coat hanger to hold the cable to a cutout in the dash. Found sharp edges trying to release the air cleaner door and left some blood behind which is nothing unusual for me.

Some ****** designed the glove box. Just bought a 2015 and now going through stuff. Had to cut the tab on the right pin. I made an S-hook out of a coat hanger to hold the cable to a cutout in the dash. Found sharp edges trying to release the air cleaner door and left some blood behind which is nothing unusual for me.
Have you tried to access the cabin fuse box yet? Likely the same guy.

Peter

I haven't looked for the fuse box yet. I carry spares but now I guess I need to find the box. I have 2 different shop manuals that I'm just starting to look at.

I haven't looked for the fuse box yet. I carry spares but now I guess I need to find the box. I have 2 different shop manuals that I'm just starting to look at.
It's up in the area above the parking brake. Check my post here; Cabin fuse box location Good luck.

Peter

Found the fuse box this morning. I'll trade it in if a fuse blows - I was looking for a second Jeep anyway.

Bob

Back