Car keeps locking in car wash? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car keeps locking in car wash?

Don't some of the Ex's have an autolock feature? I think my sport has it
Yes they do but they all require some intervention to activate the locking procedure.
It is a strange setup. I just tried a few things and found that touching the black pad on the handle with anything plastic or wooden did not activate the locking. However, when I touched it with a rubber hockey puck that I had close by, it did lock.
I have also activated the lock when hand washing the vehicle with a wash mit. I now leave the key out of range anytime I wash the Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Car Wash Surprise

My wife was in the city today and decided to wash her 2013 Explorer Limited. She left her 5 button key fob in the vehicle and started washing it.
When she passed the wand across the drivers side door handle the pressure from the wand locked the doors and locked her out.
Since she didn't know what the key pad access numbers were she had to phone a tow truck to come and pop the door open.
It cost her $42.
She now knows what the key pad numbers are. :)

Wow, it's hard to lock the vob keys in the Explorer. Hey, at least your wife washes the car! :)

A warning against washing your Explorer using those touchless car washes. When I drove my into the bay of one these car washes, I ended up gouging two of my painted aluminum wheels on washes' ground guides. My wheels actually climbed the guides then slide down leaving nasty inch long gouges.

Yeah I'd never go in those with rims. My second gen has 31x10.50R15s and whenever I use one of those I feel my tires bump the sides and slide down every time. If they were a bigger rim/shorter tire I wouldn't go in. (lol not that I do now. Hand washing is basically free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay)

Also, related to the OP, I've read things on here about people accidentally locking themselves out during car washes.

Merging Thread

There is a thread on this topic already. Merging this thread with it.

Peter

I'm so glad you announced the merge. I was momentarily very confused.

It's not from the fob or the doorhandle. It's the keypad. You can use the keypad to lock the doors with or without the FOB. The water can activate the keypad and if it strikes it right, will lock the doors.

I've washed my EX many many times already and never had my car lock on me. Ive always left the keys in the car while it goes through and really never had an issue. As a backup i do have a pic of the code on my phone, of course i never leave my phone in the car.

Which reminds me - i need to wash it this afternoon.

yup happens all the time when I wash the sport if I have the keys in my pocket and I hit the keypad area with the wash mit or the hose. Then I throw the key in the garage because it drives me nuts with the lights flashing lol.

I originally thought the touch keypad was very slick looking being flush in the door pillar. After using it, I can't stand it. I always have to touch it at least once or twice to "activate" it before it registers me punching in my code, which half the time screws up me entering my code by either missing or adding an extra digit at the start getting it to recognize I'm trying to use it. Whereas my Raptor has physical buttons, and while they're not as pretty, they're 100% accurate 100% of the time with physical button pushes rather than stupid touch sensitivity, and never go crazy when it rains or I wash the truck.

What am I missing here?

This has happened twice now. My 2011 Ford Explorer Limited locked in the car wash for no reason. I think it is because they accidentally hit the lock button exiting the car but they “claim” no. The first time my keys where in the car so my dad had to drop off my spare. The second I had them with me and was able to unlock it for them. Why would it just lock? Anyone else have this issue?

... and this from the 2014 Limited owners manual:

Smart Unlocks for Intelligent Access Keys (If Equipped)
This feature helps to prevent you from unintentionally locking your intelligent access key inside your vehicle’s passenger compartment or rear cargo area.
When you lock your vehicle using the driver or passenger power door lock control (with the door open, transmission in P and ignition off), after you close the door your vehicle will search for an intelligent access key in the passenger compartment. If your vehicle finds a key, all of the doors will immediately unlock and the horn will sound, indicating that a key is inside.

... so I don't see how the intelligent access key could get locked inside the car, unless the owner overrode this feature, or it wasn't equipped.

... and this from the 2014 Limited owners manual:

Smart Unlocks for Intelligent Access Keys (If Equipped)
This feature helps to prevent you from unintentionally locking your intelligent access key inside your vehicle’s passenger compartment or rear cargo area.
When you lock your vehicle using the driver or passenger power door lock control (with the door open, transmission in P and ignition off), after you close the door your vehicle will search for an intelligent access key in the passenger compartment. If your vehicle finds a key, all of the doors will immediately unlock and the horn will sound, indicating that a key is inside.

... so I don't see how the intelligent access key could get locked inside the car, unless the owner overrode this feature, or it wasn't equipped.
See post #28 for a possible explanation. If you press the 7/8 and 9/0 keys simultaneously, the vehicle will lock. Even with the fob inside. Not sure if this may be happening as the vehicle goes through the wash.

Peter

Ah ha! Thanks again Peter. Much to learn here!

Happens to me when i take my truck to get a wash. Key stays in truck while its in neutral going thru the wash. Is there a way to "deactivate" the key pad? One time the truck almost went into the street and almost hit traffic bc they couldnt get in and they had 5-6 people get in front to stop it from rolling.

Only solution i have is to take it to hand carwashes only where i stay inside for the wash and get out when its time for vaccuuming

Happens to me when i take my truck to get a wash. Key stays in truck while its in neutral going thru the wash. Is there a way to "deactivate" the key pad? One time the truck almost went into the street and almost hit traffic bc they couldnt get in and they had 5-6 people get in front to stop it from rolling.

Only solution i have is to take it to hand carwashes only where i stay inside for the wash and get out when its time for vaccuuming

Keep the fob in your pocket. The Ex will still stay running if you leave with the fob. You. An then unlock it if necessary.

Do you have a 'keyed' ignition/locks or the keyless entry/push button start? As blwnsmoke stated, just keep the key fob with you if you have the keyless entry. If you have the 'keyed' locks then you may have to carry a spare key and give it to the attendants or be prepared to unlock the door when the vehicle exits.

It would be very helpful in answering some questions if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it will show in the left margin. All it says there is "2013".

Peter

Do you have a 'keyed' ignition/locks or the keyless entry/push button start? As blwnsmoke stated, just keep the key fob with you if you have the keyless entry. If you have the 'keyed' locks then you may have to carry a spare key and give it to the attendants or be prepared to unlock the door when the vehicle exits.

It would be very helpful in answering some questions if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it will show in the left margin. All it says there is "2013".

Peter

For some reason, I thought only the Limited and Sports had the keyless entry on the door. Do they all come with it?

After rereading his post it sounds more like the non push button start requiring the key to start the Ex. I believe there is a setting in the left MRT screen to shut off the auto locks but if you don't have MFT, I don't think that is an option.

For some reason, I thought only the Limited and Sports had the keyless entry on the door. Do they all come with it?

After rereading his post it sounds more like the non push button start requiring the key to start the Ex. I believe there is a setting in the left MRT screen to shut off the auto locks but if you don't have MFT, I don't think that is an option.
I checked Ford.com first because I wasn't sure but it looks like the SecuriCode keyless entry keypad is standard on the XLT.
Only the Base doesn't seem to have it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Door locks not working...

Does anyone know if any other cars have this issue or it just because they wash over the lock button on the door.
- Justin

This has happened to me many times, and still does. I cannot lock or unlock the doors with the remote when I am within a 1 mile radius of a microwave (cell phone) tower.

Whenever my remote does not lock the doors, I look around and I always find a microwave tower nearby or at a distance.

I have to unlock the driver's side door using the key, then unlock all other doors using the unlock button on the driver's side door.

I have asked other Ford Explorer owner's and they also have the same issue near microwave towers.

Dealer has also experienced the same when checking the locks near microwave towers. No fix.

Auto-locks nuked by microwaves...

JR

Back