Cars rpms bog down randomly while idling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cars rpms bog down randomly while idling

Jacky12

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Ford Explorer, XLT
My 2010 Ex just hit 150k miles on it and started to bog down randomly while I'm idling. It normally sits around 500-600rpms and will drop to about 200-300 then pop back up. It seems like something clicks and the entire car starts to vibrate for 5 seconds or so while it drops then its back to normal. It happens in all weather - freezing to 80F+.

I saw a few posts on here saying spark plugs or wires but I just replaced those at 149k miles. Also some suggestions of a vacuum leak but yet no signs of any. Also no codes or anything like that. Took it to a shop and paid for a diag just for them to tell me its fine -.-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you have running when it happens? for example lights, radio, hvac (including positions of the hvac vent selector knob). was this happening before you replaced plugs and wires? are there any check engine codes and or history codes that aren't current? last is it a v6 or v8? you mentioned plugs and wires so I would assume v6 but need to be sure.

What do you have running when it happens? for example lights, radio, hvac (including positions of the hvac vent selector knob). was this happening before you replaced plugs and wires? are there any check engine codes and or history codes that aren't current?
Normally I have my radio on - using Aux (although it happens even when my radio is off) and AC turned off. I don't ever use my AC although it works. Yes it was happening before I replaced the spark plugs and wires. I was hoping by replacing them it would fix the problem lol. I'm not sure about any check engine codes I assume if there where any the shop I took it too last week would have informed me. So I think no?

Also normally no lights but again it happens regardless if they are on or not.

Well there are a lot of things that can cause your issues and it could be anything from a failing sensor to vacuum leak to fuel related.

Do you have a obd 2 scanner that can do live data? there are a few things you could look at while it's acting up to try and narrow it down if you do have a obd2 scanner. if you do not have one its going to be really hard but you could check a few things like wiring in the engine compartment for any exposed wires, green corrosion, or loose connectors. you could also take a look at how dirty the throttle body is and look for any cracked or broken vacuum hoses to start with.

That's the same thing that's happening to mine, I replaced the belt the tensioner, I have a constant 14.3V but it doesn't matter what it do turn the steering to bump the window switch even put my foot on the brakes this happens..
I have no codes popping up and sometimes when I do it my motor will shut off..
I have a 2015 Ford explorer limited and the problem started about a year ago and has done nothing but get worse..
The only thing I can notice is all four of my VVT are starting to leak oil around and through the top of the solenoids. I'm completely baffled by this and don't want to take it to a dealership to get robbed. The ones here are very bad.

That's the same thing that's happening to mine, I replaced the belt the tensioner, I have a constant 14.3V but it doesn't matter what it do turn the steering to bump the window switch even put my foot on the brakes this happens..
I have no codes popping up and sometimes when I do it my motor will shut off..
I have a 2015 Ford explorer limited and the problem started about a year ago and has done nothing but get worse..
The only thing I can notice is all four of my VVT are starting to leak oil around and through the top of the solenoids. I'm completely baffled by this and don't want to take it to a dealership to get robbed. The ones here are very bad.
you have a 2015 explorer and this is the 2006 to 2010 explorer sub forum. you may get better results over in the 2011 to 2019 sub forum since you have a completely different engine and drivetrain.
I think your vehicle has auto stop start and that could be why it shuts off. the bogging issue you may have could be caused by a failing battery or alternator. again i dont know for sure but your steering i think is electric and when you turn the wheel it puts a load on the electrical system causing the engine to bog down due to more strain on the alternator.
It could be other things also like dirty throttle body or just a simple tune up like plugs and coils.
you will get better more accurate answers over in the correct forum.

you have a 2015 explorer and this is the 2006 to 2010 explorer sub forum. you may get better results over in the 2011 to 2019 sub forum since you have a completely different engine and drivetrain.
I think your vehicle has auto stop start and that could be why it shuts off. the bogging issue you may have could be caused by a failing battery or alternator. again i dont know for sure but your steering i think is electric and when you turn the wheel it puts a load on the electrical system causing the engine to bog down due to more strain on the alternator.
It could be other things also like dirty throttle body or just a simple tune up like plugs and coils.
you will get better more accurate answers over in the correct forum.
Ok thank you

Back