Castrol at Walmart.No sludge protection? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Castrol at Walmart.No sludge protection?

I agree that American workers should be getting the money, but I think that is more of how "we run our" government than where we spend. You can spend $50 at the local store but how much goes to the government to be "redistributed", then there is the store cut for overhead, and then the profit margin. Employees are at the bottom end of the totem pole. We get paid, but not usually for the work we give. A sloucher can earn the same pay as a hard worker.

I work for Randall's as a produce clerk. Here are my responsibilities

-Unload pallets lifting 50+lbs
-Stock the department which includes
--Stacking all the fruit in an appealing manner
--rotating all our stock
--rebuilding displays.
-Empty trash
-Cut pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew and package it.
-Clean out both coolers
-Wash all the greens that come in each day
-Check cooler temperatures
-Use a scan gun and hang tags for the whole department
-Doing a closing task list
-Role plays for customer service
-Customer service, which includes (ALL are graded and looked for by our managers, corporate busybodies, and secret shoppers to determine if your department is good enough)
--Greeting the customer
--Anticipating needs
--Engaging in a selling conversation
--Offering a sample
--Closing the sale
--Giving a parting comment
Other things I have done for the same store that were not my job
--Grabbing carts
--Sacking
--Carry out
--Laying concreted for a broken floor
--Fixing a roll up delivery door
--Jump starting customers car batteries

And what is the grand total for all this? $8.49 an hour.

Now that's just me and this is no mom and pop shop. There are lots of good hard working people that do twice or three times this list and get less than I do.

Sorry for the uber long post. Last time I will discuss this in this thread. Sorry OP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it doesn't say "Sludge protection" then I would guess that it is just normal oil. Its very possible that Walmart is selling a cheaper version. If Castrol is what you prefer in your truck then I would say just support your local auto parts store and buy most of your automotive related products there because most of the time at least you know what your getting and some of the employees actually know something versus walmart a lot of their employees know nothing of the auto related items they are selling.

well,it was a slow day here at the shop so I did some searching online.I found that Castrol GTX which is what Walmart sells passed the M111 European sludge performance test.You can do a search for it and see what all this rigorous test includes.Its over 100 hours of the engine running nonstop at different RPM's.At the end of this test,which was performed in a mercedes engine,the engine was torn down and lobes were mic'd for wear,checked for sludge deposits,crank and bearings wear was tested,valves were tested for wear.At the end of this test it was found that Castrol GTX allowed the least amount of engine wear and sludge buildup.After reading all of this today,I think As long as the Castrol has that little BP lubricants Stamp on it,I will be ok.

I personally would not have any Wal-Mart personnel work on my car after almost getting run over by a Wal-Mart tech moving a customers car back to the parking lot. They were squealing the tires around the curve and slamming on the brakes. The hell if I'd ever take my car there. I prefer just buying groceries on a budget at Wally world

I personally buy my Valvoline at walmart along with my motorcraft filter its just what I have ran in my vehicles for awhile. I used to buy my oil and filter at oreilly's but it was not worth it when it would cost $30 for just oil and filter and thats how much a shop would charge me to do it with valvoline as well. Its weird how the single qt's at walmart are the same price as other places but the 5qt's are way cheaper and say something about walmart on them which means they are getting better deals from the oil company's on those containers.

Yea I too buy my oil there sometimes and its Valvoline Synthetic Blend but if I couldn't find the oil I wanted specifically I would go to an autoparts store.

Monty is right. Do not trust Wal-mart. They only hurt our country!

I don't know about what is inside the bottle but I notice that walmart oil containers are specially printed for walmart. They say "Recycle your oil at walmart."

I doubt all these oil companies though would reduce quality and put their trademark name and brand type on the oil. There are fanatics on the internet doing UOAs and word would spread very quickly. I don't think that is good marketing today, and they will lose millions in lawsuits and customer good faith. Even Walmart Super Tech oil isn't bad according to some reports.

Its one thing to produce a cheap umbrella or vanilla wafer, but oil is very serious business. Valvoline offers a warranty if you use their oil, and its clearly stated on their containers in Walmart. A warranty is serious business if shark minded attorneys get interested.

I know motorcraft oil and filter is the same as what you get at the dealer. I was told from a source that the savings comes from the supply chain - Walmart uses their trucks to ship the oil from the factory to the store, and is responsible for everything once the oil comes off the assembly line. That way MC oil is sold to you at around dealer cost. Motorcraft/Ford is not going to play games with engine warranties over Walmart.

BTW, most companies are "evil" in their own way. Business is all about making money, with the least collateral damage to their brand. Is a guy working in Ace hardware any better off than WM? Or Lowes? Plenty of tools and other stuff there is made in China too.

Go on a Ford Tech site, tons of dealers who treat techs like crap and techs have more complaints than Walmart cashiers.

Monty is right. Do not trust Wal-mart. They only hurt our country!
x2 - I avoid Walmart like its the plague and havent been in one in years.

Valvoline offers a warranty if you use their oil, and its clearly stated on their containers in Walmart. A warranty is serious business if shark minded attorneys get interested.

I just want to throw in my .02 on this. A few years ago, and a few Explorers ago, I took one in to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change center and had the transmission flushed. They used the wrong fluid. The warranty was clearly stated on the back of all of the paperwork that it was a 100% money back guarantee. To make a long story short, I raised a million dollars worth of **** even going as far as starting an online petition to boycott Valvoline service centers and products due to the lack of professionalism in both their replies and the way they handled the situation. I had a ton of support and still never received a single dime back from Valvoline. They wouldn't even reflush my transmission with the proper fluid, which was my original request. All of this was after they even admitted in their emails that the transmission fluid that was used was not approved by Ford.

Just thinking about that whole situation again makes me angry. I hate Valvoline! :p:

Walmart can also keep the price down because they buy is such mass quantities...

Slightly off topic here but dont get your oil changed at walmart unless you want recycled oil put in your car. I went there for an oil change last year and the service guy writing my ticket up told me the bulk oil in their big tanks is recycled oil. Hence why its cheap. These bulk tanks are what they use to pump the oil into your car. Maybe all walmarts dont do this but my walmart dont use bottled oil to do their oil changes unless you request it. They claim the recycled oil is as good as new oil that comes in a bottle but i decided not to trust this. I told them i wanted new bottled oil only. It cost me a few dollars more but i felt for the peace of mind it was worth it.

Back