catless y-pipe FOR 4.0 sohc | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

catless y-pipe FOR 4.0 sohc

Know Theres One Floating Around But Can't Seem To Find Anythink On The Net...any Help Would Be Great Looking For A Catless Y-pipe For The 03 Explorer Sport...4.0 Sohc Thanks

Headers..
Flowmaster Dumps
Jba Plug Wires
Coil Pack Upgrade
Volant Cai
Xcalibrator Tuned And Datalogged
Synthentic Fluids All Over

Soon Upgrades Supersixmotorsports Ported Heads...custom Cam Nitrous Shot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black will absorb heat no matter what. Yes, you do want hotter gases but you don't want to warp you're headers. That's why they came out with the high dollar coatings. Don't take me wrong here just stating facts.

I do agree that coating your headers is the way to go and header wraps will ruin your headers, however i don't see how the color of your exhaust is going to make a difference. How did you come up with that? I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering.

-Rich

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I do agree that coating your headers is the way to go and header wraps will ruin your headers, however i don't see how the color of your exhaust is going to make a difference. How did you come up with that? I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering.

-Rich

I did not say that painting the exhaust black will help me. HOW did you come up with that is the question? I said it MAY absorb heat better. Will that gain me anything? Probably not. The main reason is to keep it from rusting.

As far as the y-pipe wrapping. I don't think it will rust IF you do it properly.

Paint the y pipe with high heat paint. WRAP. Then paint the wrap with high heat paint. That's how I'm doing it.

not worth it.....

Will the removal of the cats cause the engine light to come on?
I was told that it would unless you either replace the rear o2 sensers with o2 eliminators or reprogram the computer.
I've been wanting to do this with my 96 5.0 but it looked like it would end up costing me close to $200 either way.

Yes it will set a check engine light. It may take 3miles it may take 3 weeks. The only true way to get rid of the light is tuning. I have run mil eliminators in mustangs for years and every once in while the cel will still come on. Don't know why but they do. So now that I am a custom tuning dealer I just turn off the rear o2's in the software and dont have to worry about it anymore.

Has anyone tried swapping a late model Sport-Trac Y-Pipe with an earlier Explorer pipe? Seems to me it would be a cleaner install...

That Random Technologies pipe is sweet, but not very cost effective!

Has anyone tried swapping a late model Sport-Trac Y-Pipe with an earlier Explorer pipe? Seems to me it would be a cleaner install...

That Random Technologies pipe is sweet, but not very cost effective!

I was going the random route until I called them on the phone and got all the specs. Cuss it was 2" pipe I dedided to just use the one I have, clean it up and gut the cats. Can't say that it helped much but it looks alot better than the rusty ole one I had before.

Yes it will set a check engine light. It may take 3miles it may take 3 weeks. The only true way to get rid of the light is tuning. I have run mil eliminators in mustangs for years and every once in while the cel will still come on. Don't know why but they do. So now that I am a custom tuning dealer I just turn off the rear o2's in the software and dont have to worry about it anymore.

I have been Cat-less for 4 years and have still have no CEL's Plus the truck actually blows cleaner without them and a good tune. Then it did stock.

I like the sound and the seat of the paints HP feels good to me.

I have been Cat-less for 4 years and have still have no CEL's Plus the truck actually blows cleaner without them and a good tune. Then it did stock.

You don't have pre-cats?

jakee, to make a mill eliminator you use a 1mfg cap wired between the signal wire and reference wire(like a jumper) and a 1 mega ohm resistor on the signal wire.

this has worked on all my fords, the dodges are alot tricker and seem to sample more.

jakee, to make a mill eliminator you use a 1mfg cap wired between the signal wire and reference wire(like a jumper) and a 1 mega ohm resistor on the signal wire.

this has worked on all my fords, the dodges are alot tricker and seem to sample more.

I'm completly ignorant in this subject.

Consider yourself lucky! Because I have been dealing with this for years and your the first that I haven't seen with a check engine light and no rear cats. MIL eliminators are temporary "band aids" to getting something done till it can be finished properly. Like I stated previously sometimes with mil eliminators the CEL will come on and sometimes not. With a good tune? Meaning what a custom tune? If so that explains why you don't have a CEL because the rear heaters and 02's were turned off in the software. If you just put a tune up on it then gutted the cats and no cel I don't buy that one. Oh Ford just forgot to turn obdII on that day. I don't think so!

I was thinking the rear 02 was turned off in the tune as well.

what does removing the cats on the SOHC motors do sound wise? make it more raspy?

I don't think the black is going to absorb more heat unless you got sunlight shining on your exhaust under your truck. Also, don't you wrap your headers in order to make the exhaust gas hotter and lower the density in order for it to exit the exhaust faster?

-Rich

Your right about the black paint on headers and the sunlight. In my racing days i used to paint my engines black. Learned this from Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins. As long as the part being painted black is hotter then it's surroundings the black paint will cause the heat to go to the outside of block where the paint is and then be released to the surroundig air.
If you ever saw any of Jenkins cars the body was painted white to reflect the heat and engines black. Same would be true ot the headers, this would cause the heat to be released to the air faster. Unless there is some heat source near it to produce more heat then the headers then in that case the headers would collect heat.

I don't know if Raspy is the word. It might be. I will make a video and post it up.

As for the sensors being turned off, it might be but I don't know. When it gets inspected they plug in to the OBD port and don't pull any codes either.

Black Magic:
I love your "Custom Cats" page, good stuff!
Man, I need a wirefed welder....

PS: your avitar rocks.

Back