Change of tire size – 255/70 to 265/75 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change of tire size – 255/70 to 265/75

manousos

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'993, Sport
I recently bought a 1999 Explorer Sport with a set of 255/70 R16 tires that need replacing. Current options include a set of 265/70 Goodyears or Nokian.

I understand the difference between the two tire sizes….so I’d like to know if it is OK to deviate from the factory recommended tire size to something wider??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chances are high that the size you have on there now is not original either. To stay true to origanal diameter as much as you can - the wider the tire, the lower the aspect needs to be to stay true.

most dont know that 255/70/16 is standard on all sport series 2 door ex`s .
you will be fine with 1 size wider ,might use a tad more gas as you now have more rubber on the road .

its ok to go 1 size wider or smaller in width but do not change the height of the tire ,stay with 70.

i just replaced my tires and found a great deal on some yokohamas but they were 245/70/16 ....like new for 300.00 for the set so i bought them .
no issues .

Again, here is a handy as heck calculator for tire sizes and diameters and speedo error!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Youi can change both of the tire or rim sizes to whatever you want and compare. It even shows what it will look like.

You should be able to fit a 265/70. A 265/75 would require a bit of lift.

Back