Changing only one side rotor and brake pads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing only one side rotor and brake pads

bounsoul

Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS
So I just changed the front driver's side rotor and brake pads. The reason I didn't do the passenger side is I got powerslot rotors and the company I bought them from sent me two left sides instead of a left and a right. The right one is ordered and on it's way. I estimate that I'll be driving all residential streets, for a total of maybe 30 minutes max from now until I get the other rotor shipped and put on. I will brake nice and slow and drive nice and slow (30 mph max) from now until then. Does anyone think this will mess up my brakes in any way? I know powerslot says that I'm supposed to do all that wearing in of the brakes by forcibly breaking 5 times from 30-0, etc etc...but I figure I'll just do that when I get the other rotor and new pads installed. I did a test drive around the block and everything appeared in working order. Will 15 miles of careful driving do any damage? Im not worried about having a slight pulling of the car for the next few days, as long as I'm not doing any permanent damage.

The reason I didn't just wait to do both at the same time is it was my first time and the person showing me how to do it isn't going to be around next week. Any insight would be appreciated.

You need to break them in evenly. I wouldn't drive it and just wait - but it will be ok to drive it.

-Drew

Back