changing seats from 94 explorer to 00 explorer wiring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing seats from 94 explorer to 00 explorer wiring question

Fordman28

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Hello I have a 94 Explorer xlt and the front leather seats are worn out and I bought some new heated leather seats that are out of a 00 explorer limited the bolt patterns are the same though I have a question is it going to be a problem to change the wiring hook ups I had one mechanic tell me it won't be but I wanted to get some different opinions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this on my '92, however they are not heated. All you have to do is splice the hot and ground. The plugs obviosly wont work. I used wire nuts. I also found out the hard way that the seat belts are different. I dont know what year they changed.

Use the old seat belts. If the authorities discover seat belts which don't match the VIN, they will assume that stolen parts are involved.

I have 99 Limited seats which I have not yet wired into my 98 Mountaineer. I am after the memory seat function, which requires the door panels, and other wiring. Good luck,
Don

Use the old seat belts. If the authorities discover seat belts which don't match the VIN, they will assume that stolen parts are involved.

I highly doubt any cop, anywhere would notice such a thing.

You missunderstand, it's not about a random check. For any accident or major change, like selling the vehicle, it is common to check for non stock parts, etc. Basically an inspection like that would be looking for major stolen parts, like doors, engines, hoods, etc. My point is that seatbelts are a major item that they look for, and because of how easy they are to look at, they will always be checked.

This is mainly an issue for rebuilders, because this can get them in a bunch of trouble if a vehicle is ever wrecked in the future, and non original belts are found in it. I have heard of this happening to several rebuilders.

Basically, just use the original seat belts, or the same model and color.
Don

the wiring for the seats out of the 2000 explorer which are heated have several wires and the wires I have for my 94 explorer there is only two do I only wire up the two from my explorer or do I need to have all of them wired up I need some input what is someones advise on this has anybody else incountered this

Probably just two for the seat adjustments. The heated seat wires may require a schematic to connect those. Good luck,
Don

I put 98 buckets in my 91. I had to use my seat frames because the 98s are different. Also, the seat belt buckle for the 91 bolted the the seat itself. The 98 seat belt buckle bolted to the frame.

I have been a cop for 16 years and I have worked a lot of auto thefts. We are trained to recognize the different VIN's and the locations...but it takes a lot more that the seat belts to interests us in the vehicle's legality.

Back