changing to synthetic from regu;lar oils... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing to synthetic from regu;lar oils...

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
I would like to make the switch from regular oil to (probably) mobil 1 synthetic...can I make the change over as per normal during an oil change or do I need to flush before adding the synthetic?
thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its a good idea to flush...but it is not a necessity.

You don't need a flush but I would change the filter after 1000-2000 miles since synthetic will dislodge some grime and flood the filter early. Then you should be fine.

synthetic ol

once you go synthetic you cant go back you will always have to use synthetic.

Re: synthetic ol

Originally posted by thebignewyorker

Who says? Every syn oil I have seen is compatible with regular oil. You can mix them 50/50 if you are so inclined. What would prevent you from going back to using regular oil if you didn't want to use syn oil any longer?

I found the following at http://www.prod.mobil1.com/index.jsp

Under Myths about Synthetic Oil:

Myth:I need to flush my engine before switching to Mobil 1.

Reality: No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn?.

Myth:You can't mix Mobil 1 with conventional oil.

Reality:Mobil 1 with SuperSyn? is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn? will be reduced by diluting it.

Re: synthetic ol

Originally posted by thebignewyorker

That's not true... I've switched between the two when my budget would not allow me to spend $50.00 on an oil change (materials and shop fee, mostly materials) and my truck runs just fine.

In fact the only time that my truck has burned through a quart of oil the entire time that I owned it was after I switched back to synthetic (Mobil 1, with Mobil1 filter), but it was at the tail end of the 3000 miles and I was about due. It hasn't burned any since though, so I think it was the seals, "readjusting" themselves to the new oil...

So...you do not have to worry about switching between the two...

On a better note for those in the Chicago area... The Winston Plaza (Maywood Park) Murray's is now carrying Amsoil by the quart for about $6.50 per quart and they have the K&N Oil Filters too... Looks like my oil change just increased by about 10 bucks...but at my vehicles age I think that it will help alot...

Dave

Dave,

I grew up in RF and also have an Amsoil account. I'm in Lincoln Park now. Let me know if you need some stuff. I just loaded up and changed everything out and got the same for the fiancee (oil change due). Gonna try the 0W-30 on her Civic, should get a an MPG or two (I hope).

That's it. I'm switching to Mobil 1. I just did an oil change last week using Mobil Drive Clean. Cost me approx. $13.00 for oil and filter. It would be the same cost if I used Mobil 1 and changed it at 6000 miles instead of 3000: approx. $26.00. But from what I understand, I may be able to go 7500 miles or possibly more?

Yes,

It's been proven with filter changes and top offs at each 5000 miles you can safely make it to 15,000-20,000 miles. That's a long time, but do a search for it b/c there is more than one thread that talks about it. I would consider Amsoil for longer drain intervals over Mobil 1.

Back