• Register Today It's free!

Changing Transfer Case?

erixon

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Sorry maybe I am blind but I didn't see a sticky on replacing the transfer case or anything, just wondering if anyone has any how-to articles on replacing a transfer case. I have one sitting here waiting to put in (on my 99), It can't be that difficult can it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How To Change a Transfer Case

Hi, I am looking also. I am trying to replace TCase on a 2001 Ford Explorer, Model ending in AA. Does anyone have information on How to change it and what kinds of tools needed. Do you need a gasket for the housing? All Bolts are hard to losen, any help please. Thank You!:(:(

the transfer case is an easy change as it only has so many bolts holding it into place,,
4 on the back driveshaft ,
4 or 6 on the front driveshaft,
5 or 5 where it fastens to the trans
and the wiring for the shift motor,

drop the back driveshaft , than remove the front driveshaft bolts, undo the shift motor wires, and than the bolts that hold it to the trans, , there is one bolt on the top of the t case that is hard to get , but there is an access panel under the center console, take the console out and open the hatch and the top bolt should be right there,
to put the new one back in just reverse the steps,

:):)Thank you for helping. I am trying to take the bolt's off the back and front driveshaft, but they will not losen, am using a 12mm mediam rachet, any idea's on losening these bolt's? have been spraying with WD-40.
Thank You,

the transfer case is an easy change as it only has so many bolts holding it into place,,
4 on the back driveshaft ,
4 or 6 on the front driveshaft,
5 or 5 where it fastens to the trans
and the wiring for the shift motor,

drop the back driveshaft , than remove the front driveshaft bolts, undo the shift motor wires, and than the bolts that hold it to the trans, , there is one bolt on the top of the t case that is hard to get , but there is an access panel under the center console, take the console out and open the hatch and the top bolt should be right there,
to put the new one back in just reverse the steps,

sometimes the need a snap on the ratchet a bit, another possible thing to do is tap them with a hammer before using the socket to kind of disturb them or break the rust in the threads a bit,, but don't hit them too hard,, just a series of light taps, with a small hammer, so as not to damage them,
i usually use a medium ratchet and kind of smack the handle with my other hand while holding pressure on the ratchet,

How To Change a Transfer Case

I am having a hard time pulling the Transfer Case any from the Trans. I have all the bolts out and the Transfer Case is about 2" any from the Trans., but it does not want to come out any further. What am I doing wrong. Please help And Thank You.:(

Back