Check Engine light help!!!

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Since I put the Throttle body on, I keep getting a very sparatic check engine light. It's comes & goes. I'll be driving, stop at a light, & boom the CEL comes on. As I go throught the light, it will go out. Then sometime thoughout the day it comes on, & then goes off. I checked for codes, & none show up, Not even stored. I disconnected the battery for like a day(to clear computer) I adjusted the idle speed as per the instructions. I disconnected the IAC, set the stop screw to 500rpm, then reconected it. It idles fine at around 700-750rpm. Runs fine too. I did this on saturday. could it be just the computer resetting for the bigger TB, & air requirments? Any input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is most likely your mass air sensor that is causing the check engine light to come on.

Don't think so.....It was fine before I added the TB. I did not clean it when I put the KKn on, because it was working. Decided on the if it aint broke, don't fix it sense. I did each a week apart also. The truck only has 55K miles on it. so it shouldn't be that dirty. Howerver I will clean it this weekend to see if it does help. Would this send a code? I checked it for codes, & nothing showed up. The CEL did not come on at all yesterday.

go to the main site and check out the cleaning the maf.....i too think this could be the problem....maybe it wasnt dirty last week but is now. It may be totally unrelated anyways.. you have 55k and i take it your maf is stock and never been cleaned...just go ahead and clean it now...that way if it happens later you no it for sure isnt the maf and can peg something else as the culprit. early Xs (i am not sure if all) had the maf problems....just go clean it now

I just got my truck back from the dealship, and one of my problems was the check engine light was on. sometimes it would stay on then others it would go off and on. They said they replaced the mass air flow sensor and that fixed the problem. it has not ben on since.

Back