Check Engine Light OUT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light OUT

Conniption

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Recently had my 1995 XLT in for a California Smog Check. Bessie passed all her tests except one - her Check Engine Light isn't working. I replaced the bulb and several others using up my whole box of 10 new lights while I was in there.

Check Engine Light still does not come on. I cannot pass smog without it. Looks like several other indicator lights on that side of the panel are not working either.

Anyone know if there is a common problem that would have many of the indicator lights out? Illumination panel lights all are working fine as is the Check Gauge, High Beam, ABS, cruise control, and perhaps one or two others I don't see very often.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuses is where I'd start.

Then the connections on the instrument panel.

jump the wire at the ecu and see if it illuminates, if it doesn't then you need to trace the wire from there

prob not your issue but I recall some fords having issues with broken solder joints on the clusters prob wouldn't hurt to check

you can do a year pass on smog in Cal by signing a Statement of Facts

report the SUV in Colorado with your kid in college--you get a year pass--then next year do it again--and again and again and again

Since it is multiple lamp failures I suspect there is a power feed or ground connection failure on that side of the panel. I checked fuse 11 as that appears to be the power lead for the CEL - fuse is good. If it turns out to specifically include a failure to the CEL, which wire at the ECU would be the one to jump?

Interesting final result. About 18 months ago I replaced the Oil Pressure / Volt Meter pod as the Oil Pressure unit had failed. Turns out that some dash panels for which the instruments are compatible, have a different arrangements of indicator lamps. The back of the panel has "tunnels" that allow only a particular indicator to be lighted when its bulb is illuminated. The surrounding material is completely opaque. Well, the fascia on the replacement pod did not have the correct Check Engine light tunnel configuration (no light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak) so when the lamp was lighted, it couldn't be seen. With a an exacto knife and some gorilla glue, I transferred the fascia from the old pod to the new one - presto - Bessie's CEL is glowing in good health. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Yep. the panel overlays are not all the same configuration as far as warning light locations.

Back