Check Gage and Temp Gauge repair | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Gage and Temp Gauge repair

Someone may have a better explanation than this but this is what I think happens:

1. Power goes to the gauges which are connected to the sensor.
2. When the sensor grounds, this activates the gauge (when it works of course). Power is consumed and is too low for the Check Gage to light.
3. The Check Gauge is connected in series. When the Temp gauge exceeds limits - too low or too high or it doesn't work - there is enough current to activate the Check gage light.
4. et voila !

tres bien! ~a lil french for ya!

On a similar note, does someone know how far the temp gauge should deflect on a 96 Ex with a V8? I've replaced my sender unit, and thermostat to fix a fluctuating gauge. It doesn't fluctuate any longer, but the gauge goes up to about the halfway point - it basically covers the thermometer symbol in the middle of the gauge.

Been so long since it worked correctly, I don't know where it's supposed to be. I'm using a 195 degree super stant t-stat and a 16 lb cap. The sender and all the other parts are from NAPA.

Thanks,

Zammer

ps: how does one determine if the fan clutch is NOT working? My fan spins, but I really don't know if the clutch is engaging or not.

Back