• Register Today It's free!

Check Gage and Temp Gauge repair

DBourbonnais

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS
I just got a used 96 XL with 131Kilometers. The Check Gage light was on and off - no real pattern. And the Temp gauge flutters a bit but did not move. After checking the site here, I have now replaced both temp sensors and the thermostat with Ford parts.

Check Gage light is now on constantly after engine has warmed up. Temp gage still doesn't move. Engine does not appear to overheat and I get heat from the heater.

Any additional suggestions as to the problem or on how to fix both the temp gauge and the Check Gage light?

Thanks,
Denis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the temperature gauge reading extremely low?

Yes, the temperature gauge is very low. As far as I can tell it does not move from the lowest point.

Denis

Mine does the same thing. I have also changed the temperaure sender. No good. Mine just quit one day for no reason and every once in a while it will work :mad:

Change your thermostat.

No it's definitely not the thermostat. I've had it fail and I know what temp gage looks like when it does. It's literally bottomed out, way below the C all the time.

When mine went bad in my 98 it caused me to almost over heat. I had it go bad in my 93 and the temp just bearly made it up into the normal zone. It all depends on where it is when it goes bad.

Back to my original question: I have changed the thermostat and both temperature sensors.

Is my next move to change the temp guage?????

Regards, Denis

Oh, sorry, I didnt see that you changed the thermostat.

Thanks for the insights.
Has anyone actually fixed this problem?
Is my next step to replace the Temp gauge in the dash?

All help appreciated.

Denis

The next step would be to check the resistance of the sensor to see if it is within the range of normal operation. Unfortunately, I don't have the specs on that. But, if you find the spec, you could then check it with an ohm meter.

Check the resistance? Even on a brand new part?

Originally posted by DBourbonnais
Check the resistance? Even on a brand new part?

Well, sure check the resistance. Same reason you would check the gap on a new plug. The guage has only a couple ways to malfunction. Either the sensor is not operating in the correct resistance range, or the meter is not getting proper voltage, or the meter is miscalibrated. You might also have a problem with resistance in the wire from the sender to the guage which could also be checked with an ohmmeter. The only way to rule out the sensor being the problem is to check its' resistance range.

Test the temp gauge by disconecting at the sensor and grounding the lead. The gauge should read full hot if it doesn't move then either the gauge is faulty or broken wire between gauge and sender. So pull the dash and check for loose/broken connections. You can then check the gauge by earthing the sender end to test for broken wire. (I'll bet its a loose connection behind the dash caused by off roading etc)
All the best.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like the gauge itself is shot. Grounding turns on the "Check Gage" light but not the temp gauge itself.

Now to chase down a working temp gauge . . . .

Denis

Originally posted by DBourbonnais
Thanks for the help.

Looks like the gauge itself is shot. Grounding turns on the "Check Gage" light but not the temp gauge itself.

Now to chase down a working temp gauge . . . .

Denis
Interesting.....let me know what you find out.

Check Gage and Temp Gauge: the final chaptery

Originally posted by Jason_25

Interesting.....let me know what you find out.

For Jason_25:

I replaced my Temp Gauge last night. The Temp gauge works and the Check Gage light is OFF and stayed OFF going to work this morming.

Total $: $190 canadian (about $110US) for an intrument cluster + both temp sensors (Replaced both just to make Sure)

However, it seems the new temp gauge did not zero out properly. At cold it is about halfway to the thermometer sign and after warming up it is very close to the H. I will have to go in again, pull the needle and reset it at a more reasonable place.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions

Holy crap you had to replace the whole gauge cluster?

No, I replaced the Temp\fuel gauges cluster only. They are easy to pop out and in once the plastic is removed - about 30 minutes altogether including cleanup. But I had to buy the whole instrument cluster - that seems it's the only way the local junk yard (sorry RECYCLER) sells these things.

Ford wanted 450$ (about $300US) for the Temp\fuel cluster plus waiting for 5 days until they shipped it in from out of town.

From the messages I saw here earlier, the rest of the cluster rarely breaks anyways - but if mine ever does, . . . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean to say that the temp sensor is good, and the gauge was bad and the CHECK GAUGE light came on? How does it know the gauge is inaccurate if it is getting a good signal from the sensor? :confused:

Back