Check suspension light on...funny sound? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check suspension light on...funny sound?

2001 Ford Ex

Reaction score
City, State
Somers Point NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Limited Explorer V8
I just purchased a 2001 Limited V8 Ford Explorer ....has 184K miles. Very clean ..all electronics work...the check suspension light just came on....when I turn off suv I can here the suspension lower....but I don't know what to look for. I have driven it only 200 miles and this just turned on. When I start it up now it does not turn on until I drive a few miles.
Other question....
when the truck is running I do hear a clicking going on and off under the hood and I belive. It is just low on freon. Can anyone help....yes I am a girl...lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your rear shocks need pressurized air to work. Probably they are worn out and are loosing the pressure, clicking is from the relay starting the compressor (to add air). Eventually, if you do nothing, it might burn the compressor out too.
The shocks (you have 5 of them) should be replaced at some 80 k miles. Probably yours are way over that number.
Your BF can do that easy. If not, get another BF :)

Ok...

Thanks so much....time to look up the bf...lol..
..would u happen to know about how many miles this v8 will go? I was reluctant to buy this with 184k but I was told it could go to 300 k ....does that sound right? The interior is in such good shape so I figure who ever had it really did take care of it. The driver window has some trouble going down but everything else works perfect....even the heated seats!!

If you keep up the maintenance it will go 300k. Change the engine oil (use 5W40 for the mileage you have) every 4-5K miles, transmission filter and refresh transmission fluid every 30-40K, brakes and shocks (you can get non-air shocks on this), don't let any suspect noises let un-checked (wheel bearings, ball joints)... at least ask here.
Remember, is not a brand-new car, you don't pay $400-500 a month to the bank, you should expect some hundreds now and then, especially if it was neglected before.

Thank you for the great advice....I will be sure to follow!!

Back