Clanging Jingling noise 2003 mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clanging Jingling noise 2003 mountaineer

iivydriff

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
We have a mountaineer and since my wife got its always made this clanging jingling sound it sounded like it could be stuff rattling around in the cats but those were all changed out and it still does it. Sounds like ball bearings rolling around in a metal can. Does it at an idle or under load. Then all the timing chains and gears and guides were all put in new and it still does it. Ive heard others do it too. Me and my wife will listen for others to do it and we hear them all over its a common noise in these vehiicles i just dont know what it is. 4.6 liter Also outr will make a loud ticking or tapping noise at the point where its about to shift. Anyone got any ideas as to what it is. Sounds like a lifter but that would tap all the time I would think. Ive replaced two of them. that were tapping. Ive had a couple mechanics advise its the torque converter making the tapping sound at the point of shift and the clanging rattling noises. could this be the case any input will help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will see if [MENTION=210410]JK080[/MENTION] picks up in this one, but the TC may be it.

How'd you replace the lifters/followers? I'm thinking I need to as well on mine.

We have a mountaineer and since my wife got its always made this clanging jingling sound it sounded like it could be stuff rattling around in the cats but those were all changed out and it still does it. Sounds like ball bearings rolling around in a metal can. Does it at an idle or under load. Then all the timing chains and gears and guides were all put in new and it still does it. Ive heard others do it too. Me and my wife will listen for others to do it and we hear them all over its a common noise in these vehiicles i just dont know what it is. 4.6 liter Also outr will make a loud ticking or tapping noise at the point where its about to shift. Anyone got any ideas as to what it is. Sounds like a lifter but that would tap all the time I would think. Ive replaced two of them. that were tapping. Ive had a couple mechanics advise its the torque converter making the tapping sound at the point of shift and the clanging rattling noises. could this be the case any input will help.

A torque converter could make the types of noises you are describing, but noises not a common issue with that converter.

I guess if it sounds like the noise is coming from the bellhousing area then there is a good chance it's the converter or a broken flywheel, either way the tranny has to come out at this point.

If the converter is bad and is making metal it can damage the pump.

Yeh somewhat like that. That was fairly continuous this kinda comes and goes. and It makes a loud tapping noise right as it goes to shift. or when you i left of the gas and just kinda hold it steady. Like when there is no load on something causing it. Weird but its been doing it for a long time and still going.

Will see if [MENTION=210410]JK080[/MENTION] picks up in this one, but the TC may be it.

How'd you replace the lifters/followers? I'm thinking I need to as well on mine.

Those lifters are really just slack adjusters. I just started it with the cam cover off and found wich one was the culprit. Actually you can probably just feel it and wiggle it around if its bad enough. I took my lug wrench for my dodge truck. and used it to pop the rocker arm out. Rotate the cam until the lobe is up and all the tension is off the rocker. Put a small block of wood against the upper side of the head where cam covers bolt on. you may have to get one about the right size to use to pry off of. That lug wrench has a flattened end kinda sharp like a big screwdriver. A pry bar would work The lug wrench was just handy. I put electrical tape around it also just above the tip so it wouldnt damage the cam journal. but pry upwards and down toward the bottom of the head on the end of the rocker it will pop right off. Then pull out the lifter and drop in the new one. Then slide the rocker are back up in there get it lined up straight with the new lifter and there is the hump on the top of the rocker are. put the flat part of the pry bar between that hump and the cam journal and then pry the rocker are toward the lifter and it will pop right on there. There was a link with pictures somewhere that i used to go off of. It worked good easiest lifters ive ever changed out. Here is the link It was a little spooky looking to me raking that screwdriver around on the cam lobes LOL. I put some electrical tape on the lug wrench LOL. My heads were different i had to use some wood to pry against on the top side he just pry on the head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqKWzhpsHQ

Yeah, I've watched that video a few times. When I did my timing guides and tensioners, I called Ford Racing and the tech told me that's how he does it.

So you actually replaced the lifters? I was thinking my early morning ticking was a follower.
I'll pick up a few of each and hope I can find an obviously bad unit or two.

Yeah, I've watched that video a few times. When I did my timing guides and tensioners, I called Ford Racing and the tech told me that's how he does it.

So you actually replaced the lifters? I was thinking my early morning ticking was a follower.
I'll pick up a few of each and hope I can find an obviously bad unit or two.

It was obvious wich ones were bad the rocker arm was just flopping loose in there the rest had tension on them. I just wiggled the rockers with my fingers the bad ones were easy to spot. In my case anyway.

Did you ever figure out what's making the noise in the video? I have an 03 4.6 that makes the same sound.

Torque converter. It's in the shop right now getting replaced.

Are you getting just the TC replaced or having work done on the trans?

Not sure yet. They're pulling the tranny apart on Monday to give it a good inspection. I plan on doing whatever is needed, up to a rebuild, so I don't have to worry about the tranny again.

I was tempted to just have the torque converter replaced but the labor is so expensive I would rather not have to pay to pull the tranny again down the road.

Back