• Register Today It's free!

clank clank clank, HELP!

cdub05

Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Ok, Ive got a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0L SOHC with only 66K miles, only mods are KKM intake and IMCO muffler. Sometimes, not always, when I start it up, it clanks like crazy, really loud. When i put it in gear it goes away slightly, but at around 2500 RPM's while driving it sounds bad again, it doesnt clank like at idle, but doesnt sound good. It doesnt always do it, but probably 50-75% of the time it does. No codes are thrown, so I have no way of figuring it out that way.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for what its worth it runs fine, shifts fine, etc

Since the engine hasn't seized yet, I'd verify the exact location of the noise. Left, right, front, rear, bottom rear especially, as in flywheel things. I had an El Camino once that had a clank and it turned out to have only one loose bolt left in the flywheel to the torque converter!

it seems like its in the center of the engine if I recall. isnt to the left or right. I would say top center, towards the back of the engine maybe?

it's a SOHC motor, so wouldnt the tensioners be suspect?

well its definitely not a squeek sound, but who knows. twice ive had a mechanic to look at it, and both times it started fine and wouldnt make the noise...Im going to try agian today.

well its definitely not a squeek sound, but who knows. twice ive had a mechanic to look at it, and both times it started fine and wouldnt make the noise...Im going to try agian today.

...if I had a nickle... :banghead:

Back