• Register Today It's free!

Click noise when starting...

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
When I start the car, I get a single kinda loud click noise. It's just one loud click.
It sounds like its coming from behind the dash on the passenger's side.
The truck still seems to start fine. I'm just wondering what the click is. I want to make sure nothing is wrong before the snow starts flying.

If it wasn't for the location of the sound, I'd swear it was just the starter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the normal sound a worn out Amastat makes. No, just kidding. I would open the hood and have someone start it while you listen. It might be a relay in the relay box clicking.

I just thought everyone would tell me that the sound is normal. LOL
Well, I guess I need to look into it more.
A relay could very well be it.
Where are they located on this shltbox?

Relays are under the hood in large fuse box on right fenderwell. That clicking you hear is the fuel pump relay. Right after the click you should hear the fuel pump prime for abou 3-4 seconds.

It does sound like the fuel pump relay. When mine went bad it worked intermittenly and when it doesn't work the fuel pump won't work and the engine won't start. Before I found out what my problem was I would spend 1/2 hour sitting in a parking lot turning the key on and off listening for the fuel pump. The part is less then $20 from a local parts store.

Also, don't let your fuel get less than 1/4 tank because the fuel cools the pump and over time the pump will burn out if not cooled.

So, my relay should be fine, right?
Relays always make clicking noises.

I'm confused here...

I just thought everyone would tell me that the sound is normal. LOL
Well, I guess I need to look into it more.
A relay could very well be it.
Where are they located on this shltbox?

Is the clicking normal or not? :confused:

Explorer, Explorer :D

I hear you...

If I knew I wouldn't have asked

But I was asking the respondents.... I can't tell if you should be getting it fixed or okay with it... ;)

But I was asking the respondents.... I can't tell if you should be getting it fixed or okay with it... ;)

I figured that's what you meant

;)

I think this might be the answer...

It does sound like the fuel pump relay. When mine went bad it worked intermittenly and when it doesn't work the fuel pump won't work and the engine won't start. Before I found out what my problem was I would spend 1/2 hour sitting in a parking lot turning the key on and off listening for the fuel pump. The part is less then $20 from a local parts store.

Also, don't let your fuel get less than 1/4 tank because the fuel cools the pump and over time the pump will burn out if not cooled.

I'm not sure if they want you to replace it or not, but it sounds like that... Give them time to clarify? It doesn't sound like an immediate problem that will have you at the side of the road... maybe they'll chime in here :cool:

There are several relays under the hood that are activated/energized when you start the car. Relays are nothing more than magnetically actuated switches.. when you supply 12v to a relay it will energize a magnet and pull a metal plate to make contact with the supply and load terminals.. This pull is the clicking that is heard. Over time the springs in the relay can wear out making the clicking LOUDER. The relay still works, but the magnetic pull against the weaker springs will get louder over time and eventually the relay could fail with the relay stuck in the closed position (always on = Not good)

t_4173.jpg

Back