• Register Today It's free!

Clicking front wheels

16maglimited

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hey guys I'm experiencing a clicking sound at very low speeds when turning the wheels? In forward and reverse. Both sides, nothing touching in the wheel wells. Kinda sounds loudest near the brake calipers.. Any ideas? I've taken it to the dealer a few times and they're remedy was to replace a couple washers up there somewhere.
Also, My todal amount of days in the shop in the last 15 months for different reasons, is over 30.. and with another visit much more.. is there a lemon law option? Just curious?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out Beverly Song Act for California. Check the back of your repair order and it will contain language of the act. It is our version of the lemon law. Also if you had multiple attempts to fix a problem and it still is not repaired you can ask service manager to ask a regional manager to intervene and to consider a buy back.

Have they checked the universal joints. They will click if they are bad but I wouldn't expect a 2016 Explorer to have that go already but you never know.
(jump to around the 4 min. mark).
Bad CV joints will also produce clicking or popping sounds.

Peter

I've had, what sounds to be the same problem, on my 2015. First time it went in (@25 000 km) they changed the "strut mount bearings/ bushings" this solved the problem for about 2 days. Second time they did a brake service - which is apparently recommended by Ford at 24 000 km, but was never suggested, or recommended to us. The problem seems to be fixed now (going on 1 month). I'm not a mechanic, but a brake service solving this problem seemed strange. Either way it's fixed and I'll take it.

Welcome to the Forum Ceder.:wave:
Hopefully it's fixed.

Peter

My 2014 is doing this too. It doesn't happen all the time. But yes, making a turn at low speed you hear one click. You can't feel anything though. I will call the dealer tomorrow.

The washers go between the axle and the hub. There was TSB for previous years for this because the supplier of either the hub or the axle did get the right dimensions or tolerances for a good fit and so there is play in the splines. This washer is there to add friction between the two to prevent the play.

I think all new explorers have the washers installed now from factory as part diagrams now show it like it is part of the bill of materials.

The best way, to me, to tell if this is the issue is power brake it forward and then try it in reverse. If you heard the click during these times its the play in the axle/hub.

Hey guys I'm experiencing a clicking sound at very low speeds when turning the wheels? In forward and reverse. Both sides, nothing touching in the wheel wells. Kinda sounds loudest near the brake calipers.. Any ideas? I've taken it to the dealer a few times and they're remedy was to replace a couple washers up there somewhere.
Also, My todal amount of days in the shop in the last 15 months for different reasons, is over 30.. and with another visit much more.. is there a lemon law option? Just curious?
Check out the below video.

Yeah thats what i was talking about.
But that noise only occurs when the wheel is turned.
Your description of reversing...clunk/click, move forward...clunck/click, while the steering wheel is straight seems to be the common shifting of brake pads when going from one direction to the next.

The click in my 2014 is not like that. It's not consistent. I've noticed only when I'm at low speeds or stopped and turning (like a traditional right or left turn). It's just one click in the middle of the turn and then goes away. I don't feel anything in the wheel, I don't feel the car shift. Trying to get more details on it from my wife since it's her car. I'll report back with any further symptoms she notices.

The click in my 2014 is not like that. It's not consistent. I've noticed only when I'm at low speeds or stopped and turning (like a traditional right or left turn). It's just one click in the middle of the turn and then goes away. I don't feel anything in the wheel, I don't feel the car shift. Trying to get more details on it from my wife since it's her car. I'll report back with any further symptoms she notices.
Check out below TSB, as that is another issue that may affect our EX.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3606131

It's still the same noise just not as bad as the turning one. Mine does it when changing direction or when I'm trying to get over the 3/4-1" edge of my garage floor when backing in and I have to give it more gas.

No brakes are applied during the backing up in the garage.

I can put my head right against the hub/wheel and hear it when it does it.

It's still the same noise just not as bad as the turning one. Mine does it when changing direction or when I'm trying to get over the 3/4-1" edge of my garage floor when backing in and I have to give it more gas.

No brakes are applied during the backing up in the garage.

I can put my head right against the hub/wheel and hear it when it does it.
Are you planning to change the thrust washer?
Doesn't seem to be a hard DIY; if over the warranty period.

Are you planning to change the thrust washer?
Doesn't seem to be a hard DIY; if over the warranty period.

Yeah at some point. It's covered under powertrain warranty (which I still have), but I'll probably do it myself. I don't trust the dealer to torque the bolts/nuts correctly. Plus the washers are just a couple of bucks a piece.

Called dealer. Service guy seemed to be familiar with the washer issue. Dropping it off on Monday. Will post results. Also having them look at our stuttering front windows. Seems there's a TSB on that too.

Ive had this problem too.

Youre not gonna like it. Its the rack and pinion and its holy hell expensive! Ive had it replaced under the recall. After 16k kms from the replacement, it went back with a vengeance. Now back in the dealer and I argued that it should be covered since its the same issue.

My 2014 is doing this too. It doesn't happen all the time. But yes, making a turn at low speed you hear one click. You can't feel anything though. I will call the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply but my clicking is more than 1 time, it almost seems to be revolving.
I drop it off at ford today I will update when it's resolved

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your Reply, that click sounds exactly like mine, only mine is not so rapid, I haven't turned in a circle like he did but will try that this morning on the way to the dealer. Thanks

Back