Clicking/Rattle coming from the steering column and dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking/Rattle coming from the steering column and dash

sliggity

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
2002 4.0L Explorer Limited: So I have an annoying rattle coming from my column and drivers side dash area when going down the road. It seems to be when hitting the slightest bump or uneven pavement. I read a few threads citing the clock spring but I pulled it and that's not the culprit. Oddly enough I went around the neighborhood with the hood popped and I can't hear the noise? So anyone have any ideas I'd appreciate it, thanks!

I started a thread about this a few months back and didn't find much out, mine is probably different as I am now thinking it's part of the advancetrac which you would not have on your 2002.

Yea it's strange and hard to explain so kind of one of those things you'd have to hear for yourself. I found out enough about it to know the problem exists but never came up with answers or solutions. We'll see, thanks for the reply.
I started a thread about this a few months back and didn't find much out, mine is probably different as I am now thinking it's part of the advancetrac which you would not have on your 2002.

Mine sounds like a "SPROING" sound, just like kicking a spring type door stop. Occurs when gently accelerating in between the 1-2 shift, by G-Force when driving through a swale, and by centrifugal force during hard cornering at speed.

Back