ticking noise from the steering column... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ticking noise from the steering column...

bmacd

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
I've had a ticking sound coming from appears to be my steering column for the past 30k miles or so. It's especially loud when in 1st gear or coming from a stop, but if i listen closely, i think it's prevalent in all gears, but i could be wrong. Any ideas on what this could be? It doesn't appear to be hurting anything.

-=bmacd=-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn signal?

Sorry, I couldnt help myself......

LoL! thats too funny...

but for real i think get the same thing... does it creek at all ?

Mine has creaked for about a year now. Hearing it makes me want to spray some WD-40 inbetween the wheel and the column;) ... I could only imagine what I would short out if I did though!

Check your EGR vacuum tube and check for a pinhole leak. That is a common problem on the 5.0 and causes a ticking sound.....

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
Check your EGR vacuum tube and check for a pinhole leak. That is a common problem on the 5.0 and causes a ticking sound.....

1) Where is the EGR vacuum tube?

2) What exactly am i looking for? A small pinhole? How big is this tube and how easy to access is it?

3) What is the solution to the problem? It's not terribly annoying, but if i ever sell the X, i'd like to fix it before hand.

4) Will this problem develop into anything more serious?

thanks again guys :)

-=bmacd=-

ttt

-=bmacd=-

ticking noise

i just starting hearing a 'creeking' - 'ticking' noise on my X and i figured it to be ball joints but my car guy claims it's the rack & pinion (i thought that was on Dodge products?says it should cost about $600) i will ask about the vaccum thing any other ideas? thanks for all the posts pertaining this 'ticking 'noise

Back