Clicking sound at Idle speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking sound at Idle speed

InuHasa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
Think I posted my first post in the wrong area....

Been looking around here for a while and getting a answers on how to fix up my sport trac, so today i decided to join cause I have a problem that I am completely stumped on. Onto the problem....

When im driving at idle speed, or at low speeds, say, less than 20mph I have this clicking (like tin clicking?) sound that seems to be coming from my driver side wheel area (possibly under the truck?). It dose not click when I am in reverse only when driving forward. it does not matter if i am turning left or right at low speeds I still hear it. I do think the clicking noise speeds up as i accelerate (hard to tell from the wind and such).

I just replaced 3/4 wheel bearings, two being the front ones, so I do not think it is that. Checked the cv joints and they don't have any cracks in the boots, they also have the normal play in them. I also checked the drive shafts and they dont have anything wrong with them, no leaking and no play.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

oh its a (early) 07 sport trac 4x4

U joint on the front drive shaft.

I've tried pulling, pushing in every which way and it dose not budge and inch except for the normal gear slack fron the t-case. checked the rear drive shaft as well. I don't get a terrible vibration, let alone any vibration in the cab if that even matters...

Clicking sound at Idle and low speeds

Think I posted my first post in the wrong area....

Been looking around here for a while and getting a answers on how to fix up my sport trac, so today i decided to join cause I have a problem that I am completely stumped on. Onto the problem....

When im driving at idle speed, or at low speeds, say, less than 20mph I have this clicking (like tin clicking?) sound that seems to be coming from my driver side wheel area (possibly under the truck?). It dose not click when I am in reverse only when driving forward. it does not matter if i am turning left or right at low speeds I still hear it. I do think the clicking noise speeds up as i accelerate (hard to tell from the wind and such).

I just replaced 3/4 wheel bearings, two being the front ones, so I do not think it is that. Checked the cv joints and they don't have any cracks in the boots, they also have the normal play in them. I also checked the drive shafts and they dont have anything wrong with them, no leaking and no play.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

oh its a (early) 07 sport trac 4x4

There is a small metal spring on the front of the engine where the gears are for the Cam shaft and Valve shafts, mine was worn out at 95000 miles, sounded like valve clatter. The dealer replaced that and it runs quite.

Back