Clicking sound when accelerating??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking sound when accelerating???

amccombs15

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Island, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Eddie Bauer
hello,

i've noticed that when i accelerate, there is a clicking sound, like a baseball card in a bike wheel. i've looked at my hayes repair guide, and its says it could be a worn piston pin/piston pin hole, or a collapsed valve lifter. for the lifter (if that was the problem) it says to try a higher viscous oil, lucky for me its time to change the oil. but for the piston pin, it doesnt give option of repair. well what i want to know is if anyone has an idea on what that should cost if that was the problem? and how long should i go before it needs to be repaired. im a college kid and strapped for cash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it does it when the engine revs up (in neutral) then it coudl be lifter/valve train etc.

if it does it under load only (acceleration) then i would suspect an exhaust leak first off. get a 3' length of hose and put one end to you're ear like a stethascope and use the other end to poke around, you'll find the sound...

....didn't i give this same piece of advice to someone else on here today?

It's probably the lifter , mine does the exact same thing. Very quietly but it still does it.

I agree....valvetrain or exhaust leak either at the headers or a hole in the muffler.

ok so i just got gas (bp) and i've noticed the click has gotten quieter, but is still there. any ideas? i am taking it in to get a radiator flush for the winter, and i will ask the tech, but i would like to have some knowledge of what possible problems can be so the tech doesn't spit out some expensive sounding repair. also the reason im getting a flush is cause it was low, could that have caused the problem?

also, the reason i mentioned the gas is because i usually fill up with shell.

It really is probably the lifter , mine does the same as you describe , somtimes it noticeable , while other times it's quiet.

will it cause an damage if i let it go for awhile? cause i will be getting my student loans back in mid nov. and with that i can get it taken care of.

Oh ya only a month it'll be fine if it is just a lifter noise. Mines been clicking for like a year now cuz I'm to broke to fix it.

ok cool, but what causes this problem/ and could i pick up some gum-out type stuff from the auto parts store to help/ would that help even/

I'm not really an engine person at all , all I know is the lifters clicking isn't a huge deal , and that they clcik when worn out or something. All I know is mine have been clicking a long time and the car starts , runs , drives perfectly fine.

well hopefully i can go as long as you, but i will talk to my tech about it tomorrow and see what my options are. thx to everyone for the help. as usually this forum is very speedy and helpfull

If it's just a lifter tick, it's not a big deal. sometimes lifters just tick.. they're roller lifters so you're in even better shape, one probably just bleeds down a little or something. as long as the engine is running smoothly i would not consider it a problem.

worst case scenario, you could replace the lifter, or the cam and all the lifters. that would take care of it!

Had similar sound

hello,

i've noticed that when i accelerate, there is a clicking sound, like a baseball card in a bike wheel. i've looked at my hayes repair guide, and its says it could be a worn piston pin/piston pin hole, or a collapsed valve lifter. for the lifter (if that was the problem) it says to try a higher viscous oil, lucky for me its time to change the oil. but for the piston pin, it doesnt give option of repair. well what i want to know is if anyone has an idea on what that should cost if that was the problem? and how long should i go before it needs to be repaired. im a college kid and strapped for cash.

Hello!!

On my Ex, I had knocking under acceleration and climbing hills on the highway, I too thought it was a lifter. I cleaned my MAF (mass air flow) sensor and changed the spark plugs and wires. What a difference! Lost power regained!!

The MAF is located after the air-cleaner box and is secured by 2 security TORX screws, removed wiring harness, and sprayed it with a good sensor-cleaning spray.

Here's a link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253575&highlight=cleaning+MAF that might help you out. I'm NOT saying it might NOT be a lifter issue, but cleaning my MAF help eliminate my "clicking" as you described on my Ex. Just my 2 ¢

Take care, good luck!

Greg

Back