Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
When coming to a stop, I often get a clunk sound, but not always.

If I'm slowly rolling (<2 MPH) and sudden stop, I can generate it. Tried to get my wife to do this while I was outside and it proved futile. I get in and can do it right away.

If I come to a slow steady stop, no noise. If at speed and evenly apply brakes to come to a stop at a stop light, no noise.

Only on slow speed, sudden stops. Like roll a little, hard brake, let engine idle RPM's move car a couple feet, hard brake.

I've read on some threads people talking about a front U-Joint, but that just doesn't seem like the correct location. Others have mentioned a ball joint, I'm assuming the lower ball joint. Anyone have this issue and solve it?

Sway bar components are new and in good shape. Has newish upper A-Arms. Doesn't appear to be any issues with the brakes. Haven't raised the front end to check for ball joint play yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest starting to jacking up the front and checking ball joints, bolts holding on the knuckle, and any other bushings/bolts, and then finally lug nuts to make sure they are all tight.

I have the same exact problem on my 04' Sport it's a 4.6 2wd with 135k, I occasionally get that clunk, it's caused by a low speed hard stop, or any fast stop from 20+ it's the transmission downshifting, I'm not sure if it's getting confused and or lagging or if it's caused by the older solinoid pack, never heard of it from people that swapped them due to the "slam into reverse" issue.

4WD or AWD? If so, sure sounds like a dry slip yoke. No noticeable driveline "bump" feeling? Pretty common, search slip yoke or slip joint.

EDIT- Sorry. Agree OP, my second "guess" is LOWER ball joints. Unload the suspension by lifting from the LCA "hooks" and check. GL
There is no slip yoke on the 3rd Gens, the driveshaft is directly bolted to the transmission.

First thing I would do is take a look at those U-joints, but also take a look at the U-joint and CV joint on the front DS.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/drive-train-clank.371740/#post-3050052

I know this sounds crazy but first make absolutely sure you don't have anything under your seat that may be able to slightly shift and knock against seat frames. On my F150 there was a empty glass bottle that was under front passenger seat that would only clunk when I started forward from a stop. I swore up and down I had it diagnosed as a yoke clunk issue with driveshaft I had read about on F150s then by fluke found that bottle. It was lodged in there in such a way it only clunked when I went forward. Maybe this isn't your issue but might be worth ruling out.

When coming to a stop, I often get a clunk sound, but not always.

If I'm slowly rolling (<2 MPH) and sudden stop, I can generate it. Tried to get my wife to do this while I was outside and it proved futile. I get in and can do it right away.

If I come to a slow steady stop, no noise. If at speed and evenly apply brakes to come to a stop at a stop light, no noise.

Only on slow speed, sudden stops. Like roll a little, hard brake, let engine idle RPM's move car a couple feet, hard brake.

I've read on some threads people talking about a front U-Joint, but that just doesn't seem like the correct location. Others have mentioned a ball joint, I'm assuming the lower ball joint. Anyone have this issue and solve it?

Sway bar components are new and in good shape. Has newish upper A-Arms. Doesn't appear to be any issues with the brakes. Haven't raised the front end to check for ball joint play yet.
@Number4
I have a similar noise. When replacing brake pads recently (several months), I deemed it unnecessary to replace the anti-noise springs which preload the pads within their slots in the caliper. Lately, when starting cold, brakes (or something else) make a loud clunk upon being applied. After things heat up (presumedly), it goes away completely. Maybe you have the same situation? Broken spring(s)? Easy enough to check-'em. imp

I've had the "slow down to a stop clunk" phenomenon on and off over the years. Personally, I think it's the transmission down shifting and since I have 150K miles on my tranny with 'the original filter and fluid without any fix or change to any component I'm still blaming the tranny on it being a downshift issue. Am I wrong?

Back