• Register Today It's free!

Clunking in 4 Wheel

Swee294349

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
i have noticed a clunking noise coming from my front end when i have the 4 wheel drive engaged. it sounds like its coming from the auto hubs but i'm not really sure. do i need to replace to manual hubs since this noise has started to occur? for any of u who think u can help or have experienced this problem just let me know.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do u know for sure that your 4wd works? u can always test it by finding a snow hill or sand hill and try to make your truck go up it. the dash may say its engaged, but the hubs are slipping.

i have problems with my autohubs and im promptly getting manuals.

I noticed them same problem with mine this past snow storm. I put it into 4 wheel drive and after hitting some bumps i heard a clunking noise, I also have heard it when not in 4 wheel drive but it is more prominent when in it. I have heard that it could possibly be the radius arms but I am not sure. I would really like to know too because it is really starting to annoy me.

i had the same problem that the hubs clicked when engaged . my problem was that the auto hubs werent engagin and that was the clickin noise. try puttin the truck on a lift and enagage the 4x4 if the front wheels aint movin then the hubs arent engaging.

I know my four wheel drive is engaging because it still did the same normal things my truck normally does in four wheel drive, it is only when I go over bumps when it makes that noise.

my 4 wheel worked too fine but ever so often when engaged it would click . when i put it on a lift and tried it it worked for like a wheel turn and then locked up. my mechanic was going crazy tryin to fix it and finnaly replaced the hubs

Since we are on the topic, I just got back from vermont this weekend, we got hit with a lot of snow, anyway, there were times when I was in 4x4 and only the back tires spun, now this didnt happen all of the times while it was engaged. Does this mean that the hubs have seen better days? 1 more question, at one point I was in low range, I know you are not supposed to go faster than 5mph, I forgot I was in 4 lo and kinda went maybe 25-35mph, can this do any damage? Thanks guys

I think the primary concern with going too fast in 4L is over-revving the engine due to the gear ratio of 4L. If you didn't get too high with the RPMs, I don't think there's any problem.

Thanks for the help everyone. i'll see what happens when i put it in 4 Wheel Drive and if it continues this little stunt i still might just put manual hubs in.

thanks

i plow with my truck but only in 4 low . and when i get going my speed is at about 10-20 mph. just as long as u dont over rev the engine it should be fine. also i heard and found out that if u go to fast in regular 4x4 u can damage the hubs .thats how my hubs went on mine .i have new auto hubs on my truck and my back wheels some times spin but the front wheels spin too at the same time .

Ok good, but there were actually two incidents with 4lo, stuck on steep driveway with about 2-3 feet of snow, popped in 4lo started to make my climb tires started spinning, at this point i was getting pretty mad, so i gassed it, guess it wasnt a good move, anyway did about 3000-3500rpm with tires spinning. I didnt here anything break or any strange noises. Did i get lucky?

I wouldn't worry about being in 4Lo. I run my 92 on the dunes all the time in 4Lo. As long as you stay away from the redline you are fine! When the wheels slip going up the dunes , our speedometers regularly read 30mph, in low range. The truck isn't going that fast but the driveline is. Just make sure you don't over rev the engine.

Now about this cluncking noise. Most of you say you have auto hubs. Any ideas for people like me with manuals? My truck makes the same noises you all are talking about except my truck has manuals. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if I can be of any help but i too had a regular clunking in 4x4 and i blamed it on the auto hubs ready to go but man was I wrong. Last week in deep snow the 4wd let go and I thought "Auto Hubs=toast". However, it turned out that I twisted one axle joint off and the other is very loose and my mechanic says that the u-joints were bad for a while and that is where I was getting the front end noise. However, means were on the subject, has anyone ever installed upgraded axles on the Xploders? I am going to install Warn manuals at this time also.

Back