• Register Today It's free!

Clunking sound

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
I have a 97 EX XLT with a 5.0 and AWD. I recently replaced all 4 ball joints and both outer tie rod ends. But, sometimes still, when i go over bumps, I hear a clunking sound from the right front tire. I have new CV axle on both sides that are less than a year old. Could this be the hub? Bad bearings in there or something? I know that the ABS sensor on that side is shot. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a clunk in mine and it turned out to be sway bar bushings.

I agree- SBB's. It could also be the torsion bar pads.

Had a clunk in mine and it turned out to be sway bar bushings.

The liks are less than a year old! Should I check them anyhow?

Torsion bar pads?? Is that where you adjust the screw?

Did you grease them when they went in? It is possible to trash them in a year if the other parts were worn out as the SBB's bore the brunt of the force in the meantime...

Did you grease them when they went in? It is possible to trash them in a year if the other parts were worn out as the SBB's bore the brunt of the force in the meantime...

SBB's!???? WTF is that!LOL speak English son! My swat bar links are less than a year old. No I did not grease those. And where would you grease them?? I am now so confuse-ed.

SBB = Sway Bar Bushings

Grease the inside of the bushing before putting them over the sway bar- stops most creaks and noises and aids them in moving if they need to rather than wearing... ;)

SBB = Sway Bar Bushings

Grease the inside of the bushing before putting them over the sway bar- stops most creaks and noises and aids them in moving if they need to rather than wearing... ;)

LOL OK but i have never replaced or removed those bushings. I have replaced the links twice!! Maybe then with 200,000 miles on it its probably time?? I will check those bushings as soon as I get it back from Steve maybe Wednesday now~

Back