Clutch and cylinders replaced now wont turn over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch and cylinders replaced now wont turn over

H20indicted

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
I bought a 1991 explorer sport that needed a slave cylinder so today i finished replacing the clutch, the flywheel, the master and slave cylinder and hoses, serpentine belt, and driveshaft seal. Anyways got her all back together, plugged back in and tried to start then wouldnt turn over at all. The blower shuts off when i turn the key to start as if it is trying to send power to the started but the starter doesnt make any sound whatsoever. Im taking a lunch break now so any helpful info would be great. Also a note the clutch pedal is SUPER stiff and the master cylinder pin seens a tad longer than the old one but doesnt seem to let the pedal return all the way, maybe the sensor is not seeing the clutch pressed down to let the starter turn, idk just throwing that out there. Thanks

I bought a 1991 explorer sport that needed a slave cylinder so today i finished replacing the clutch, the flywheel, the master and slave cylinder and hoses, serpentine belt, and driveshaft seal. Anyways got her all back together, plugged back in and tried to start then wouldnt turn over at all. The blower shuts off when i turn the key to start as if it is trying to send power to the started but the starter doesnt make any sound whatsoever. Im taking a lunch break now so any helpful info would be great. Also a note the clutch pedal is SUPER stiff and the master cylinder pin seens a tad longer than the old one but doesnt seem to let the pedal return all the way, maybe the sensor is not seeing the clutch pressed down to let the starter turn, idk just throwing that out there. Thanks
Going to answer my own question in case someone else has the same issue. Yhe new master cylinder has a shorter neck which drops the clutch safety switch too low for the master cylinder push rod to engage the switch and let the starter turn over. Also looks like this new master cylinder isnt giving me enough movement to disengage the clutch enough to shift into gear so may be reinstalling the old master cylinder since it was only the slave cylinder that was actually bad. I bought a complete set of both and the lines and the slave seems to be the correct one. Will update with my results after trying to bleed it first.

Sooo moved the pushrod to the lower hole in the pedal, was enough to kind if work but this master cylinder is too short and the pushrod is way to short so I swapped it back to the old one then bled it 20 or so times and still it was unable to budge the new slave cylinder, no Idea why. Pedal feels right where in the newbmaster cylinder it is WAY too stiff. I figgured if there is enough pressure to bleed the system then it should be enoufh to move the slave. Very perplexed and also frustrated.

Back