clutch grinding when pressed, in any gear etc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch grinding when pressed, in any gear etc

xplorernewb

Reaction score
City, State
washington state
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ford explorer sport
well ive had a couple previous issues with this and it seems to have gotten worse since ive replaced the MC, had a shop bleed it and there is no play at all now. but it still grinds, and even worse now.

in neutral, clutch pedal pressed to the floor, it'll make a grinding sound. more like a real big vibration grind like something isnt meshing. also it squeaks when i push the clutch in when the ignition is off, car not running. when it is running and i push the clutch in, if it doesnt make the grind sound, it'll make a clack sound when i release the pedal, followed by a squeak. the shop told me it could be the throw out bearing.. maybe the pressure plate too? or the transmission is just shot? the clutch is like 6 months old, not sure if the shop replaced the flywheel or not. dont remember. maybe its the flywheel itself? someone heeeelllp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like throwout bearing to me. Maybe pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. Does it shift OK? If it does it is not the transmission.

yep it shifts ok. Im going to drop the transmission this week. How would i know if the t/o bearing is bad? Isn't that in the slave?

If you're dropping the trans just go ahead and replace the throw out and slave cylinder. They are pretty cheap.

The throw out and slave are one unit and it will be obvious that it's toast.

turns out it is the pilot bearing that went bad

Back