Clutch Master cylinder replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Master cylinder replacement

ozo

Reaction score
City, State
Perth Western Australia (living in Saudi)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I have to change my clutch master cylinder, does anyone know how to seperate the input shaft from the body of the master cylinder, i dont have a manual so any info would be mush appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I don't know the answer. Try PMing mrboyle. He's a tech and he may know.

try who, what, how?

I hope you're online tonight!!! I just replaced my clutch master cylinder today. Bled the system repeatedly, and it still won't pressure up. When you replaced yours, did you have to do anything special to get the system to work again? Please reply if you can, as I really need to get this thing running.

Thanks!

c hanged mine today, and have the same problem, i can only get half pedal !!!!! really pissed off!! i will look on other posts and let you know if i find anything

Master Cylinder replacement

We finally got it working, although I still have a little more free play in the pedal travel than I should. We just continued to bleed the system over and over again.
One thing to try is to get a 6 foot length of 1/4" fuel hose, slip on the bleeder valve (bleeder open slightly), then pump until the hose is full. Make sure the reservoir stays full during this operation. When the tube is full, stick the end into the reservoir, under the fluid level. Now you can pump the system continuously without having to lose fluid. I know some are going to say you shouldn't recycle fluid, but I had bled my system so many times there was no dirty fluid left. Anyway, after much perserverance it finally worked. Good luck.

i have a 04 raner 2wd and the clutch is soft and low on fluid where is the clutch master cylinder? i looked on fire wall and didnt see it or under collum in cab. how do you bleed it

Clutch master cylinder

Go to an auto parts website such as Autozone to get a picture of what it should look like. It will be on the firewall, inside the engine bay. Probably very difficult to access (like mine was). You should be able to follow the pushrod from the clutch pedal through the firewall to get a good idea where its located. I ultimately found out that it wasn't my master cylinder, but was the slave cylinder inside the motor/transmission bellhousing. It's a fair amount of work to do that, as it is basically the same as a clutch replacement. Probably not as bad on your Ranger since it is 2wd.

Good luck.

Back