• Register Today It's free!

clutch pedal

gbell

Reaction score
City, State
Coquille, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I have a 92 EB explorer with a 5 speed manual transmission and the pedal for the clutch is really stiff. I've gotten pretty used to it, but I would like to have it a bit lighter. I was curious if there was anyway I could do this.

I have a 92 XLt 4x4 with manual tranny and the clucht pedal was also very stiff, but becomes much more lighter when I change the clutch assembly.
My X lasts 153.000 miles with the original clutch, so I believe that the new clutch make the difference, or the new hydraulic fluid in clutch system.

Is more cheap check the clutch's hydraulic fluid for air in the system or low level, so start from here.

Good luck¡

:chug:

A stiff pedal usually indicates that the clutch is not free on the input shaft. If you have a lot of miles on it then the answer is to change the clutch. I would recomend putting in a new slave at the same time and posibbly overhalling the clutch master with new seals. As you can imagine most of the job is labour dropping the tranny. So lubricate fairly well but don't over do it. Just a nice free fitting will be fine. Just a tip use a alignment tool for the clutch and put the tranny in gear before putting it back so that you can rotate the input shaft from the output shaft. This will help greatly in lining it all up when replacing the tranny afterwards. All the best.

Back