Clutch Problems! Please help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Problems! Please help!!!

Bonkgr

Reaction score
City, State
Joliet, IL
Hello,

Here's the deal: I bought a used '94 Explorer 2wd, and the clutch was slipping. I replaced the clutch, and had the flywheel machined (no oil on the fw), put everything back together and the clutch still slips. Tried bleeding (I know that this usually solves release problems, but figured I'd try it) and the master cylinder and slave cylinder both went bad almost simultaneously.

Pulled the trans again, new master cyl, new slave cyl, exchanged clutch set, bled system. Clutch still slips. (not quite as bad, though)

The clutch is Perfection Zoom PN MU116-1A. I called Perfection tech support, and the only suggestion they could give me is that the flywheel may have been machined too far and cause the pressure plate to be mounted too far forward, which might cause the slave cylinder to over-extend and not fully release the clutch...I'm not sure if I buy it...they want me to take the whole thing apart and call them while I'm looking at the flywheel.

Personally, I think that the clutch assembly is poorly made, and that I should buy and LUK from dialaclutch.com, and return the one I have under warranty. Any other suggestions? Which way should I go?

Thanks,
Greg

As we found out in another thread, a good majority of the clutches you'll find out there for the Explorer are made by Luk. Which means yours may also be from Luk

This an AcDelco clutch, but is stamped Luk:
clutch_luk.jpg

Definitely not LUK

It came in a Precision box, which had Zoom printed on it, and it is stamped "Made in China."

I've ordered an LUK clutch, and I was told to put a screwdriver through the inspection hole to try prying back the release bearing...the idea being that if it moves, the hydraulics are allowing full engagement. (That was from an LUK tech.)

I also had a dialaclutch.com tech tell me that the problem is that the problem is air in the hydraulics, and that I should try bleeding more.

Either could be the case, since it didn't slip until it warmed up (the one time I've driven it since).

I had a precision tech claim that the flywheel could've been ground too far causing the actuator to over-extend when releasing and not properly return. I have a difficult time buying that...

I will check the release, try bleeding some more, and dump the Chinese clutch...we'll see what happens after that. Hopefully, after bleeding, its ok, and I can put the new clutch in with confidence. I'll probably try all that tomorrow...(except the new clutch)...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back