Code 67 and 89 after A4LD swap on '91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code 67 and 89 after A4LD swap on '91

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
I just completed swapping in a '94 A4LD for the M5OD in my '91 Explorer and now I'm getting code 67 (Park/Neutral circuit fault - PNP , Transmission Manual Lever Position (MLP) sensor circuit - Transmissions ) and Code 89 (A4LD - Converter Clutch Override solenoid - Transmissions ). What are these codes telling me and how can I fix them?

In addition to swapping transmission, I swapped the transmission wiring harness and purchased an ECM for a '91 X with an automatic trans.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the linkage adjusted properly? Do your reverse lights turn on when you put it into reverse? Did you check the solenoids, and the wiring harness to see if the PCM is seeing the solenoid? The solenoid should be about 25-40 ohms.

Is the linkage adjusted properly? Do your reverse lights turn on when you put it into reverse? Did you check the solenoids, and the wiring harness to see if the PCM is seeing the solenoid? The solenoid should be about 25-40 ohms.

Yes, the reverse lights work fine. Is that was Code 67 is referring to?

I didn't check the solenoids because there were no trouble codes before I pulled the transmission out of the donor X. I installed a Transgo shift kit which requires the solenoids to be removed to change springs. Could the springs have something to do with it or is the problem related to the solenoid itself? Is this what code 89 is referring to? What does the Converter Clutch override solenoid do and when does it do it? I'm wondering if this is even going to be an issue.

thanks.

The transmission has several electic parts, such as 2 solenoids (3-4 overdrive, and TCC torque converter clutch), neutral safety switch, and a VSS (on some models). Newer transmissions have more solenoids, a DTRS instead of the old neutral safety switch, and speed sensors (internal, and external). The computer monitors everything, and could throw a code if something is not right.

KOEO 67 means that the computer isn't seeing the transmission as being in park when the test is performed. I would look through the PNP circuit (pin 30 according the wiring diagrams in Chiltons) and make sure that it got connected up right. EEC-IV isn't very sensitive to errors in these particular circuits (it will be either an open or a short), and I suspect something didn't get connected up in the process of doing the swap.

KOEO 89 indicates a fault in the CCO overide circuit, aka torqe converter clutch (TCC) solenoid (pin 53). Again, it's not very sensitive, so this is either a full open or a short to ground in the circuit. EEC-IV can't see anything beyond the electrical circuit. Probably a problem with the wiring harness or something. Shouldn't be too hard to track down with a voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

KOEO 67 means that the computer isn't seeing the transmission as being in park when the test is performed. I would look through the PNP circuit (pin 30 according the wiring diagrams in Chiltons) and make sure that it got connected up right. EEC-IV isn't very sensitive to errors in these particular circuits (it will be either an open or a short), and I suspect something didn't get connected up in the process of doing the swap.

KOEO 89 indicates a fault in the CCO overide circuit, aka torqe converter clutch (TCC) solenoid (pin 53). Again, it's not very sensitive, so this is either a full open or a short to ground in the circuit. EEC-IV can't see anything beyond the electrical circuit. Probably a problem with the wiring harness or something. Shouldn't be too hard to track down with a voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

Thanks.

Is there a wiring diagram on line or do I need to buy a Chilton's manual?

Since there were no codes before my swap and these faults are not very sensitive, I'm wondering if there is a difference in the '94 transmission harness vs. the '91 transmission harness. I checked the connections today and they're fine. I'm starting to think I should get a auto transmission harness for a '91 model instead of using the '94 harness from the donor X.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this theory?

Do you have 4 or 5 pins on the neutral safety switch? Does the harness have the same amount of wires as the amount of pins on the switch?

The neutral safety switch on the transmission? If so, I don't know,but the transmission and trans harness came out of the same vehicle. I just plugged the '94 transmission harness into the '91 main harness at the grey and black connector on the driver inner fender.

As far as code 67 and 89, will I cause damage using the vehicle to do some 4 wheeling next weekend? The Converter CLutch Override circuit concerns me a little. I'll be trailering the '91 to the park and will seldom get into 3rd gear.

Thanks.

The neutral safety switch on the transmission? If so, I don't know,but the transmission and trans harness came out of the same vehicle. I just plugged the '94 transmission harness into the '91 main harness at the grey and black connector on the driver inner fender.

As far as code 67 and 89, will I cause damage using the vehicle to do some 4 wheeling next weekend? The Converter CLutch Override circuit concerns me a little. I'll be trailering the '91 to the park and will seldom get into 3rd gear.

Thanks.

anyone???

Back