codes for rough running stock 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

codes for rough running stock 94

dudeguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt 4x4
94 4x4 xlt.
Parked for 3 months due to busted u-joint/druveshaft.Ran fine before I parked it.threw an EGR code every now and then but nothing else.
Two weeks ago finally got driveshaft in and im trying to get it rigged up for winter (i have a 2012 fusion but I dont want to spend 1500 on tires,its got sport tires on it) and it randomly runs like crap and throws codes.heres the symptoms
-starts and dies within 30secs 4-5 times
-after it gets to operating temp by starting and hitting gas till it stays running,it shudders and idles low
-no CEL even when it dies
-smell gas
-If i unplug MAF sensor it idles a litlle better about 30secs
Heres the codes
KOEO=335,336,337
KOER=172,136,336,536
I understand the truck is running lean from the codes but what should looking for?Im getting some ether to check for a vac leak after work,what else could i look for,can a coil pack cause this(never been replaced,316000kms on it)thanks in advance

Probably have more than one issue, since it sat for so long.
Buy some MAF sensor cleaner, and take the MAF out and clean it. Search the forums here on a how-to for checking your TPS. Clean the throttle body. Remove and reinstall the connector to the EGR DPFE sensor (may have corrosion on the pins). Make sure the silicone-rubber hoses coming from the exhaust tube riser to the DPFE sensor are in good condition. Make sure the vacuum lines going to the EGR vacuum switch and EGR valve are in good condition. Also, maybe - remove the EGR valve itself and clean it, and the intake plenum with carb cleaner.

All that stuff is cheap (or free) and easy to do. Might just hit on the problem.

And now for the not so cheap item...put fresh gas in it :)

With multiple codes, they often say that the best first place to start is with the KOEO codes. Because they are set while the engine is not running, they almost have to be electrical in nature. I'd probably suggest starting with those KOEO EGR codes. Make sure the connections between the PCM and the DPFE sensor are good, no broken wires or loose connections.

That is what i will start with then i will update as i do things thanks

Back