Cold start, doesnt shift into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold start, doesnt shift into gear

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
so its winter time here, it just started getting into the -25 celcius area now and whenever i start up my x i go into gear and it doesnt go, i have to rev it up and then it shifts into gear, didnt do it when it was warm out, what would this be?
the torque converter, some shifter linkage, the tranny itself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old age - most likely - low pump pressures. Either let the engine/tranny warm up, or put a pan-heater on the trans pan and plug it in at night. Old/bad fluid may contribute to this.

You might have marginal transmission pressures that aren't adequate when the seals get cold and stiff on very cold mornings. Hence, it won't shift then, but shifts fine later after it warms up.

so would a seal replacement work?
last time i checked the tranny fluid it was still that redish color, it looked pretty new.

If this is caused by all the seals being old and tired, you will need a tranny rebuild to replace a variety of seals. But, be sure that there isn't a cheaper/simpler fix. Don't rely on the transmission shop to tell you the cheapest/simplest way, either. I can't diagnose your tranny remotely. If it only does this on the two coldest days per year, I'd just drive it until the tranny really fails (all the time.)

oh and it does it randomly when im driving
and my speedo says im going 100 when im probably going like 60-70

so its winter time here, it just started getting into the -25 celcius area now and whenever i start up my x i go into gear and it doesnt go, i have to rev it up and then it shifts into gear, didnt do it when it was warm out, what would this be?
the torque converter, some shifter linkage, the tranny itself?

let the bloody thing warm up, your trans oil is no longer oil at these temps more like molasis, thats a great way to destroy a good transmission. buy a bottle of trans fliud leave it out over night, take the lid off in the morning and see if you can pour it out.

oils get very thick when real cold, and thick oil will not run thru the tranmissions little opening untill it has warmed up and thinned out!

my standard trans gets so cold i can not move the shifter untill it warms up.

Back