FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Hey guys,
In addition to gears and intake manifold gaskets (oil leak at #5), I need to do my exhaust in the next month or so (so much for tax returns!) what are your thoughts for exhaust systems? I want to go with headers, a free-flow cat andcat-back. I would prefer dual pipes if available, but I haven't found anything. I am looking for long-term performance (IE: Future engine mods) as opposed to looks or sound. Any qucik thoughts???

Jon M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Borla on my exp. sport, seat of the pants gain was noticable. sounds great, quick tip, it comes with 2 venturis, leave at least one out. (one was already welded into my system).

Heh Heh

I'll tell ya what I did on my 91 sport...cut the old stock pipe with a Sawzall keeping the cat, and stuck a cherry bomb on that sucker to bring the noise DOWN a notch.Got some power out of it, since the old muffler was shot and got a sweet soundin ride...and it cost me $20 and a new blade for the Sawzall...

Hey I just recently added headers and a cat back exhaust to my '92 and love it. I used a Borla header and a Gibson Cat back both stanless. It is a very low rumble and not very loud at all but gave a decent power increce and increced my shift points a bit. What sound it does make doesn't kick in till about 2,500- 3,000 RPM's. Hope this helps if you have any questions Email me.

Hey forgot to mention instalation......
The cat back was extreamly easy to install and took about 2-3 hours start to finish. The header on the other hand was a different story. I personaly didn't have the time to do it so I had someone else do it for me but the easyest way to get to the pasengers side is to jack up the car and remove the plastic wheel well.

Just for your information, you might check out truckperformance.com. They have the best prices that I could find on cat back exhaust systems and the have Borla, Gibson, and a couple of others. Until the end of this month they have free shipping.

Back