Complete Loaded Strut Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete Loaded Strut Assembly

TheIdiotDad

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
So, with my small Hyundai, it was super easy to replace the struts by replacing the entire assembly...complete with spring.

I don't see this sort of all-in-one kit for my Lincoln Aviator. I'm a little nervous to work with springs and a spring compressor tool so I was hoping to just swap out the whole thing. I don't see this available. Do you know of any loaded strut assemblies out there?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to get a coil over strut assembly from Rockauto or elsewhere. I know KYB and others make a complete assembly.

OK...I see KYB Strut-Plus (complete assembly) for 2005 Ford Explorer but not 2005 Lincoln Aviator. It should work...right? I'm pretty sure my Aviator is just an overpriced Exporer.

Hmm, if you look at rockauto and click the item, it brings up a list of vehicles it fits. Often, it will include variants, but you want to make sure it's a right fit. In theory, a 4x4 or whatever style explorer and aviator should be the same. Hopefully, someone else who has an Aviator can give some input.

The shock itself is not the same. You may try contacting KYB and asking them what is different. It may just be the ride.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will call KYB to make sure. Thanks!

should be the same (the upper/lower control arms are the same). it has a firmer suspension (could be the coils) on the aviator.
I replaced the air suspension of my navigator from an expedition recently and there's no issues with it in terms of ride height and quality (as long as they are of the same model year/generation)

FYI...this is the official word from KYB. I really don't want to mess with the coils but maybe I will have to.

Thank you for contacting KYB and giving us an opportunity to assist you. Unfortunately the parts in question are not listed for your 2005 Lincoln Aviator we certainly do not recommend using parts that are not listed for your vehicle. Although the Aviator might be similar to your application we do not have the same parts listed for both. If those parts fit your vehicle although not listed on our catalog for it, I can tell you they will eventually cause damage to your suspension and will have a shorter life time this is why they are not listed. Also very important if you choose to purchase parts that are not listed on our catalog for the vehicle they are being used on, our warranty will be voided. You may access our online catalog at http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/ where you can find the product we offer for your application. Feel free to contact us at the number below if you have any questions.

Pretty standard corporate response. You'd need to actually get hold of a design engineer. You could go to a store that has both cartridges/shocks in stock. Try a NAPA store that is attached to their distribution center.

I'm thinking that they'll physically be the same, at least in length and mounting. The difference is probably in their handling.

Yep...this keeps getting weirder. So, the 2005 Lincoln Aviator definitely has a different strut. I looked at the tech specs on Monroe.com and they are slightly different in lengths, total travel lengths, etc., than the comparable Explorer and Mountaineer. I have done similar research on Motorcraft struts...the Aviator strut seems to be unique. Ok...so let's say I give up and buy the Aviator struts and have to deal with the springs. Sure, I probably would not need to replace the springs but let's say I wanted to replace everything and basically make my own all-in-one strut kit. Well, I can't find the springs for an Aviator. I have looked on Rock Auto, Napa, Autozone, 1AAuto, etc. This vehicle seems to have black holes when searching for parts.

So, I really know nothing about coil springs. If I want to replace them (along with the struts), what would I use? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

you won't probably notice the difference if you slap in an explorer coil over (for an 11 yr old car it might be even better compared to the old shocks). it's just like the Jaguar and Lincoln LS, they're the same body the handling is just different because of the difference in how they're tuned (already did this to my Navigator with Expedition coil overs).

if you want to get a better sleep on this, just buy the shock and re-use the coil. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2561344&cc=1440615&jsn=618
most people say that working on the coil spring is dangerous, they are not. It won't fly out like a rocket and stab you to death. just borrow a good spring compressor because there's a chance improper use of the tool will hurt you than the coil.

If you go that route, just reuse our '05 springs. I want to say the only spring issue was on the '02, maybe '03 Explorers and in the rear at that.

Ok...thanks everyone. I have to say, this is the best forum! I posted on other forums (computer issues, home repair, etc.) and have been completely slammed when I don't know something or say the wrong thing. I hate that! I'm not an expert; that's why I am asking for help. Anyway, everyone here is patient, friendly, and knowledgeable. Thanks!

Back