• Register Today It's free!

Computer issues?

primearbor

Reaction score
City, State
Pinellas Park, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 92 Explorer just quit running while going down the road. My mechanic hooks up to the computer to run diagnostic, display screen is fine until the ignition is turned. Computer screen goes blank. He suspects a short somewhere. Anyone else ever had this problem I would like to give him suggestions as to where to begin looking for the short. He has already tried a new computer, coil, ignition switch, fuel pump.

The day the problem started you would be driving and then the engine would just shut down. I pulled off the side of the road and the engine would start again, so I went to my destination. On the return trip it would just not run. Turning the key over the rpm guage would go all the way around but would not start. The mechanic had it for 2 weeks before the problem happened again. Any help? Any body had this problem? mileage is 166,000.

I'd start with cleaning the contacts of the PCM relay then replacing the PCM power relay if the issue persists. If there was a short in a power circuit, you would be blowing fuses, it sounds more like an intermittently open circuit, like a bad power relay. The A/C clutch relay, A/C WOT relay and PCM relay are all the same style/type/rating. You may want to swap out one of the other relays with the one for the PCM. The relays are located under the power distribution box, right behind the battery.

Back