Computer replacement help needed... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Computer replacement help needed...

nofortunatesonII

Reaction score
I own a '99 Ranger 2WD, 3.0L, 5 speed manual, 3.73 gear ratio. I found a used computer at a salvage yard and bought it as I felt it was worth $20 to have backup. The vehicle it came out of had the same engine/ trans but I did not check gear ratio. The numbers on the computer are similar but not exactly the same. What do I need to look for to make sure the computer I bought is compatible with my vehicle? Thank-you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own a '99 Ranger 2WD, 3.0L, 5 speed manual, 3.73 gear ratio. I found a used computer at a salvage yard and bought it as I felt it was worth $20 to have backup. The vehicle it came out of had the same engine/ trans but I did not check gear ratio. The numbers on the computer are similar but not exactly the same. What do I need to look for to make sure the computer I bought is compatible with my vehicle? Thank-you.
Gear ratio doesn't affect the computer. I still have my stock computer and I have changed to 4.10 gears on my Explorer.

Gear ratio doesn't affect the computer. I still have my stock computer and I have changed to 4.10 gears on my Explorer.

You have a grae driven speedomenter, he is EEC V and has a computer controlled speedometer ( it can be reprogrammed with an SCT XCal2 tuner ).

Gear ratio DOES factor in here since is is a pre-'01 Ranger. Can't change tire size or rear gears so the speedo will be off without the right one.

Different numbers=different computer/tune.

Are the Catch-Word codes on the box? XBT2, BAE1, etc

Fredness, the computer in my truck has MXA4 in the upper right corner of the sticker, the one from the yard has MXA3 on it. Are these the numbers you are referring to (I know little to nothing about the computers). The vehicle at the yard had a build date about 3 months prior to mine but had the same engine and transmission.

I pulled an ECU from a boneyard for my 94 ex. I pulled it from the same year and model. The only difference was my truck was 2wd the replacement was 4wd. The manager let me install it and test drive the truck before I paid for it. (To make sure it worked)

If the ECU you pulled was from the same year and same model, you should be fine. Install it and see what happens. :fire:

Get r dun!

You have a grae driven speedomenter, he is EEC V and has a computer controlled speedometer ( it can be reprogrammed with an SCT XCal2 tuner ).

I must have missed the 1999 part somewhere.

Actually the speedo input is taken off the ABS exciter ring on the differential. From there the pulses are deciphered by the computer. I will look up the boxcodes when I am near my software. This should work. Although you will have a minor problem. The PATS (passive anti-theft) system. When you change computers your new one won't be liked by the pats module and the vehicle will be in "theft mode" or no-start. There are two alternatives (1) go to Ford and and have the PATS reprogrammed or (2) purchase an ExCal with custom tuning and I can turn the PATS off. Then you will be able to start the vehicle with any key cut properly and the transponder key won't be necessary. Either way you will be out some $$$$$-j

James, thank-you for the info. I am not knowledgeable on computers. I have been doing my own mechanical work for many years, but the computer part of it is another story. I was totally unaware I would have a no-start situation from changing the computer.

Back