• Register Today It's free!

Control arm bushings?

danlong

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
I'm about to convert my AWD to 2WD, and I'm trying to gather all my parts so I can do the whole front end in one big swoop, because I need to have it done in about a day. Anyway, I wanted to replace my control arm bushings with some polyurethane bushings, but Energy Suspension only lists a part # for 2wd control arms. From what I've read, 2wd, 4wd and AWD all use the same control arms, but I've seen this listed in a few places. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im almost 100% positive that they all use the same arms, uppers and lowers

I'm pretty positive that the arms are the same, but the ES site actually says "2wd only" under the part #, I just thought it was strange and wondered if something else could have been different that would have mattered.

did you ever get the lower control arm bushings installed?

Yeah, I did the upper and lower bushings, they're a pain in the butt to do, but they fit perfectly.

Any tips for popping the lower bushings out (Press, BFH, Torch, etc)? I have the driver side down right now and am trying to get them out. I have the ball joint press but haven't had much luck yet... I just got too tired last night.

Thanks.
Brad

I didn't have a press available, but I'm sure that would work well. I used a drill bit to drill a bunch of holes in the old bushing, then use a pick to pry out sections of the rubber. Eventually I could use a BFH and a socket to drive the sleeve out, then the rest of the old bushing could be pried out. Sometimes using a torch would help loosen the bushing as well. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. I tried some more but just wasn't getting them out.

I broke down and took it over to tires plus. They popped them out in about 15 minutes for $20.00. I wont complain considering how far I got. They had to take an acetelene torch and air hammer to break them loose. I know how I'm getting the other side done!!!

Brad

Back