Coolant leak and P0174, related?

Rodeo Joe

Elite Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
Frankin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I've had a small coolant leak on the front passenger side of my 4.0 SOHC that I can't find. Nothing serious yet, looks like just a small drip over the freeze plug there. I've searched and the heater control valve seems to be a common problem, I'll check that when it stops snowing! :( Temp gauge and heat are fine.

Last week, it threw the code. Again, after searching, the main culprit seems to be the intake gaskets.

I'm not that familiar with the intakes (if they run fluid through them or not), but would a bad lower intake gasket cause a coolant leak in that area?

Joe

I have had the same two problems with my SOHC. The code is most likely the intake gaskets, fairly easy fix, depending which plenum you have. I did mine in about 4 hours, and that was taking my time, solved the problem right away. That should not be related to the coolant leak. My coolant leak was from the thermostat housing, replaced the top of the housing and gasket which seems to have stopped it leaking there, but I still have a slow leak coming from somewhere else, have not tracked it down yet.

Back