coolant leak can't see where it's from | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolant leak can't see where it's from

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
hey all here's the problem got a 95 ford explorer 4.0l auto 4x4 i have a coolant leak coming from the right front upper portion of the block under the AC unit it's not from the water pump the water pump is new and i checked all around the water pump it's dry you can physically see the leak this started after i changed the water pump the old one had a bad bearing in it. it looks like it's almost ontop of the head somewhere i've never seen a head gasket leak coolant outside the block nor does the exhaust smell sweet. just wondering if anyone has had this problem i don't really want to start tearing stuff apart until i get a good of what could be wrong. thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump any thoughts at all ????

I discovered a similar problem on my 96 during a "routine" oil change. Initially, I was "thinking" (hoping) that it was an intake gasket problem but can't how the intake comes into play since the leak is on the outside side area as opposed to the front or back. I am trying to figure out how to determine the exact problem but haven't got there yet. I am assuming when you say "right side under the AC", you are looking at the truck and then referring to the driver's side of things. If so, this is the same place of "action" for me.

I put some dye in the rad and borrowed a light from the auto store. It "shed a little more light" on the problem showing that a leak is around the side of the water pump assembly / gasket. You might want to give that a try on your problem... simple and easy. The one thing is that antifreeze appears to have "glow" even without dye so "old leaks" also seemed to appear.

yeah i threw some bars leak in and no more leaky leaky i'll go and check the torque on the water pump bolts to be safe

yeah i threw some bars leak in and no more leaky leaky i'll go and check the torque on the water pump bolts to be safe

I would recommend going after the problem, then flushing out the system REALLY REALLY good, the "leak fix" in a can only clogs things in the long run like the heater core that is a PITA to replace.

i needed it fixed now so that was best solution at the time when i get more time i'll look for the leak

Back