Coolant Leak on 2017 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak on 2017 Explorer Limited

fordddexplora

Reaction score
City, State
Califronia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Limite
Hey all, woke up this morning and there was a moderately sized puddle of coolant beneath my 2017 Ford Explorer with the FWD v6. I was unable to identify the immediate sight of the leak. However, the coolant was dripping from the part below the alternator. What is this part? Is it the power steering pump?... im not too sure. Im praying its not a water pump leak.. any incite would help. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess it's the weephole from the internal water pump. Which if so, don't drive it the water pump needs replacing.

crap... how much are we looking at to get the work done, parts included
I would guess it's the weephole from the internal water pump. Which if so, don't drive it the water pump needs replacing.

Depends on the shop but yo are looking at $2k, which you would also want timing chains and guides replaced as well while they have it apart.

Hey all, woke up this morning and there was a moderately sized puddle of coolant beneath my 2017 Ford Explorer with the FWD v6. I was unable to identify the immediate sight of the leak. However, the coolant was dripping from the part below the alternator. What is this part? Is it the power steering pump?... im not too sure. Im praying its not a water pump leak.. any incite would help. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is the vehicle still under the powertrain warranty? As mentioned by Toddman41, it could be the water pump.
Have you checked the dipstick to check the oil? If it looks normal, not milky, you may have dodged a bullet and caught it in time.

Peter

If the oil is a little milky it could still be fine. I’ve had water intrusion on several motors that were run home and were fine after a couple of very short interval changes.

I wouldn’t expect a weep hole to leave a large puddle, however.

Depends on the shop but yo are looking at $2k, which you would also want timing chains and guides replaced as well while they have it apart.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is the vehicle still under the powertrain warranty? As mentioned by Toddman41, it could be the water pump.
Have you checked the dipstick to check the oil? If it looks normal, not milky, you may have dodged a bullet and caught it in time.

Peter
If the oil is a little milky it could still be fine. I’ve had water intrusion on several motors that were run home and were fine after a couple of very short interval changes.

I wouldn’t expect a weep hole to leave a large puddle, however.
Thanks for the reply, guys, being a new member to this forum, I appreciate you guys incite, really. the car has 74k miles on it, I drove it off the lot brand new. I haven't yet checked the oil, but the leaking has subsided. Ill check the oil tmrw and report back. Thanks!

Leaks never fix themselves. I certainly wouldn’t just be driving it.

If everything is original and you are seeing orange coolant around the alternator then that is most certainly the internal water pump gasket failure which is now directing coolant outside the motor to let you know. These pumps are notoriously known to leak coolant into the oil which is going to ruin your day real fast.

As mentioned, I would stop driving the car immediately. If you plan to keep the car, have it done right and replace the timing chain etc while everything is apart. If you are looking to repair and run, you can just replace the pump but some timing components need to come off for access.

There is nothing cheap about this repair unfortunately. Transverse engine makes labor a lot more difficult and time consuming.

Rockauto would be cheapest place for timing kits

Back