• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leaking

Juli

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Ford Explorer
New member here, (hopefully I am posting in the right spot.

My son's 2010 Ford explorer overheated today. When I got there, there was no trace of antifreeze by the radiator or on the engine, he said an alert came on saying service engine now. We added antifreeze, radiator was pretty much empty and when we filled it, we started it to see if it would get hot again. Temp gage started to rise so we decided to just have it towed, Thinking maybe thermastat problem there because there was still fluid in radiator and reserve.
He said when he pulled over, he could hear like a hissing noise by the muffler.
At first glance it appeared the coolant was leaking from the muffler. My first thought was a head gasket. Upon inspection, fluid was not coming from muffler, but noticed there were 2 hose like lines next to 2 metal lines it does have rear heat/ac. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to if this can be an easy fix? Money is tight, and would prefer to fix myself if possible. Thank you!!

V6 or V8? The thermostat housing is infamous for cracking on the 4.0L V6.

It sounds like the rear heater lines after some time the clamps will rust and lose their tension on the hoses. As long as the rubber hoses are in good shape you can put new hose clamps on them and should be good to go make sure you bleed the cooling system buy putting both front and rear heaters on the hottest setting with the blowers on. If the hoses are damaged 5/8 inch is the heater hose size.

Back